question

scubaman avatar image
scubaman asked

Max Charge Current with SmartShunt

My battery recommended the max charging of 15 amps. I have a single 400-watt panel and a 100|30 Victron charge controller. Since the panel and charge controller are capable of producing 30 amps I am hamstringing the system by setting the max charging to 15 amps. Do you know if I were to add the smart shut if these two could communicate and auto adjust the charge controller’s Max Charge Current?

A quick example (ignoring solar for simplicity). If the shut detects that the battery is currently receiving 10 amps while the smart controller is currently producing 15 amps. Do they communicate allowing the smart controller to dynamically increase to 20 amps of production? 5 to the load and the recommended 15 to the battery?

MPPT Controllersbattery chargingSmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

A quick example (ignoring solar for simplicity). If the shut detects that the battery is currently receiving 10 amps while the smart controller is currently producing 15 amps. Do they communicate allowing the smart controller to dynamically increase to 20 amps of production? 5 to the load and the recommended 15 to the battery?

If you have a GX device and enable "limit charge current", yes.

DVCC manual

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.