question

cemdev avatar image
cemdev asked

can't equalize with 100 /20 controller

My batteries are now 6 months old and I figured I'd try to equalize them.

But no joy. AGM batteries, 24v.

Voltage stays at 28.6v no matter what. If it spikes a little higher when a load comes off, it immediately corrects and brings it back to 28.6v. Plenty of power available from source, was running at about 60% most of the time.

My settings are:

absorb: 28.8v, float 27.6v, equalization 32.4v. equalization current percentage 8% and then I tried 20%. Same result.

It was on the default victron AGM settings, changed it to user default with the same settings as above.

Not sure what else to try.

equalisation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Why are you trying to equalize AGM batteries? That's a great way to destroy them.

Equalization is for flooded lead acid (FLA) batteries. SOME AGM batteries recommend an equalization charge, but it is usually only slightly higher than the absorption voltage and definitely dramatically lower than the 32.4V you would use for FLA.

Your controller is limited to 20A. It's possible:

1. you're using more energy than you can replenish in a day
  2. you have poor connections and/or thin wire resulting in excessive voltage drop.
  3. You simply don't get enough juice to charge your bank (you did not indicate capacity).

Regardless, you should immediately cease attempting to equalize your AGM batteries. If you succeed in pushing them to 32.4V, you will almost certainly permanently damage them.

More importantly, if your 24V is formed by 12V in series, you should check the individual 12V and ensure they are working at very nearly the same voltage. I like to see < 0.05V variation between 12V in series. If they are not, you should put them in parallel and charge them to full @ 12V (14.4V).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic