question

martin-fi avatar image
martin-fi asked

Lynx Smart BMS 500 - High standby consumption since Firmware 1.04

Hello Victron Community,

my Lynx Smart BMS 500 has a significant higher standby consumption since the Firmware update 1.04 .

After the Lynx Smart BMS cuts the loads and goes into standby mode (over weekend) the standby consumption causes battery drain to 8,5V .

Was anything changed in Firmware update 1.04 that causes this behaviour ?

Is a downgrade to Firmware 1.03 possible ?

firmware update
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Martin_FI

Weird one. What is the recorded or measured standby draw?

Is it possible the batteries own bms has put the batteries to sleep?

0 Likes 0 ·
martin-fi avatar image martin-fi Alexandra ♦ commented ·

We measured a battery current of 220mA with disconnected AC/DC, inactive DC/DC and switched off BP-100 (where all loads are attached). In the APP, the BMS displays 0.1A.

If the BMS is switched off via the APP, we measure a consumption of 80mA. 40mA of this goes to the account of the Lynx distributor.

Is a downgrade to Firmware 1.03 possible ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ martin-fi commented ·

This looks very normal to me and from my experience is equal to what I can measure in one of my systems. The Lynx Smart BMS is specified at 200mA (at 13V) in active mode and 38mA (at 13V) in standby mode.

See section 11 in the manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Lynx_Smart_BMS/Lynx_Smart_BMS_Manual-en.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ martin-fi commented ·

@Martin_FI

Just some rough calculations here. 200mA is 0.2A it will take 5 hours to draw 1 AH out of the battery.

So if you have a 100AH battery than it will take over 100 hours for it to drain it (since the c rating it is drawing at is massively lower than a battery is rated for). Either the battery was not fully charged or the bms shutdown because of insufficient load.

I have never tried to downgrade a lynx.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
martin-fi avatar image
martin-fi answered ·

Thank you both. This helped me a lot. I learned that this behaviour / consumption of the Lynx Smart 500 is normal.

Usually the lynx Smart BMS is used in bigger systems with more battery capacity. But in my case it is used just with one 12,6V / 200Ah. When i leave the system with an almost empty battery over the weekend without charging it than its realistic that the battery will drain.

Supply voltage range of the Lynx Smart BMS is 9-58Vdc. This explaines why the battery drained down to 8,5V and not lower. Lynx Smart BMS 500 simply stopped working.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.