question

caspartfg avatar image
caspartfg asked

is my GX touch dead?

I have a problem with my GX Touch - I'm hoping is user error, but I think the unit has died. It's been working faultlessly for the last 8 weeks since I installed it. Tonight the screen was blank and nothing was happening. I thought it might be the Cerbo GX, but if I remote into it, it's all working properly. I've rebooted a few times, but nothings happens, the touch screen stays blank.

THEN - I looked closely at the screen and can see that the images are there, its just there isn't any backlight. Using a torch, I can see the display is responding, there just isn't any light to see what's happening..

So, I think that the backlight may be knackered?

however, the one weird thing, I thought it might be that there was something funky with the adaptive brightness - however, that setting seems to have been removed from the menu?!?? - I can't find it for love nor money...

Any ideas before I start to try and get a replacement.

just for context, we live on our boat and the GX is a critical part of our infrastructure - battery and tank levels are all displayed through it - so loosing that display is quite a big deal....

Thank in advance for any help or advice.

Casp.

cerbo gx
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Did you try Settings/Display&language/Adaptive brightness via remote console)?

Another option may be to update the firmware and if it's up to date, you could try a beta firmware - see: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/112174/venus-os-v28033-available-for-testing.html

0 Likes 0 ·
caspartfg avatar image caspartfg Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Stefanie,

I thought about the adaptive brightness settings, but weirdly that option is not shown in the menu any more???

I've double-checked and the firmware is up to date. I suppose I could try the beta firmware if there aren't any other options.

I've tried reseating all the cables and that didn't help either.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ caspartfg commented ·

I guess you already tried rebooting the Cerbo, so in that case I would try to go for the beta-firmware. But it's not guaranteed that this will fix the problem.

There are other options, but they are more in-depth-expert like ie. looking for some parameters inside the system for the display (linux knowledge required). So it's probably better and easier to get it replaced.

0 Likes 0 ·
caspartfg avatar image caspartfg Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks again Stefanie, i've tried the beta and still not joy.... I'm more convinced that the display is dead. I'm still getting familiar with the firmware, but the fact the "adaptive" option isn't there in the menu could mean that the GX isn't able to see the display and thus not offering the adaptive option.

Time to work out how to go about getting a replacement.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ caspartfg commented ·

You're welcome.

Please read Step 3 for warranty claims and how to get into touch with your distributor for a replacement: https://www.victronenergy.com/support

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Have you made sure that the USB cable is inserted into the correct usb port, also check the FW amd make sure its on 2.73

1639915134060.png

1639915134060.png (892.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

caspartfg avatar image
caspartfg answered ·

Thanks Paul, yes i've tried that.... It was all working perfectly and then suddenly stopped worked. I just find it very weird the brightness setting has disappeared from the menu.

2 |3000

caspartfg avatar image
caspartfg answered ·

Hi all, just to close this out - I replaced the Touch GX today and all is working properly again... It was very weird as the touch functionality was still there, but there was just no backlight, so you couldn't see anything. I would say the problem was down to the backlight breaking. The anomaly is the fact that the firmware also stopped showing any controls for being able to adjust the brightness...... Oh well, all good now and fingers crossed all is good going forward....

2 |3000