question

stormsvale avatar image
stormsvale asked

Alternator > Starter Battery > BMS 12/200>LIFePo4 battery Bank: limited charging of LifePO4 bank

Hi All,

I have just installed a BMS 12/200 to protect my alternator from overheating when charging my LifePO4 bank . I have wired the alternator following the manual linking the starter battery (+ to +) to the LifePO4 bank . All works as it should. BUT my question. I guess my alternator performs based on the charge status of the starter Battery. Is this correct?? If so in reality I am not getting much transfer to the LifePO4 bank. ( any information on this???) At least it seems that way when running under motor for a few hours I am not getting much to the LifePO4 bank. Do I need to get a BALMAR alternator with an external regulator to keep the alternator output up and make this system function or..

Any thoughts appreciated!!!

Mike

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

The first thing is to check your starter battery voltage with the engine running and check this against the voltage specified in your battery datasheet. Some older / simpler engines may not have a high enough voltage. You should also check the voltage on the lithium cells to ensure that it is passing through. Have you got a large enough fuse in the charging position. Do you hab have a DC clamp meter to check current or a battery monitor.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic