question

svabundance avatar image
svabundance asked

My setup for Euro 230v input and US 120v/240v Split phase output

I searched this group for a solution for hooking up my US 120v/240v split phase boat to european shore power and didnt find a solid solution. Here is the solution I came up with using a Victron 3600W isolation transformer. It has been working great so far. Please give me your thoughts or feedback on it. Hopefully it wil help others with the same issue. Luckily my applicances onboard can handle the 50hz at 120v.

Right now I have it wired inline with the shore power cable, with plans (TBD) to permanently mount the transformer on the boat and installing a dedicated euro shore power outlet.

Feedback welcomed...

euroshorepower2.png

split phaseshorepowerIsolation Tranformershowcase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
svabundance avatar image
svabundance answered ·

FYI: Here is a diagram to show how the isolation transformer should be permanently connected to the boat and will handle both Euro and US shore power (as long as boat appliances can handle switch between 50 and 60 hz). This diagram originated from ABYC standard E-11, Electrical Systems on Boats, for US 120v/240v split phase wired boats.

eurousshorepower.png

eurousshorepower.png (185.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

There is a version of the 3600 watt isolation transformer with automatic input voltage switching that might make your installation easier.

Note that your appliances will also need to accommodate 115 volt power when on 230 volt Euro power.

One situation this solution does not address is 120 volt only shore power. This is common in US RV circles. Not sure about marinas.

1 comment
2 |3000

svabundance avatar image svabundance commented ·

Kevin.

I did look into the automatic input switching isolation transformer. Unfortunately will not work since the transformer center tap is not exposed for the secondary windings.

Good point about 120v only shore power, correct this setup does not address that. Fortunately most marinas are 230 or 240 volt. A transfer switch could be added to the shore power input to accomodate switching between 120v and 230/240 volt input to the primary.

0 Likes 0 ·