question

doni avatar image
doni asked

Question: Quattro-II x Multiplus-II (both 2x120) to work on 120V "or" 230V

Dear all, I live in Brazil, I need to set up a Victron ecosystem in my campervan and, locally, I was unable to obtain clear, quality information to answer my questions.

In Brazil, among 26 states, several use 127V, while others use 220V, both at 60Hz. From what I know, Victron devices can be adjusted from 120V to 127V, or from 230V to 220V, and from 50Hz to 60Hz. So far, so good.

It turns out that, without having to buy an autotransformer (another mess in the back of my small campervan), I need to choose between buying a 120-127V inverter/charger, OR a 220-230V one. This solution would not suit me in all states.

My main question: can I use a 2x120 model (Multiplus or Quattro) to connect ANY shore power between 120V and 230V to my car? If so, would the inverter/charger automatically identify 120V or 230V, without requiring my intervention?

A second hypothesis: if the inverter/charger does not act alone to "identify" the input voltage and adapt to it, I could prepare 2 different input power sockets in my car (in this case, one 120V input and the other 230V)?

In this second hypothesis, I would like to arrive at a campsite with a voltage of 230V and connect to shore power by connecting an electrical cable to my socket, let's say, "A". In another campsite, with a voltage of 120V, I would connect to shore power by connecting an electrical cable to my socket, say, "B". Would this be possible, using the phase function of the Victron device (2x120)?

If possible, a new question arises: would the 230V socket be wired by connecting 2 phase cables (1 for each leg) from the inverter/charger to the Victron? Would the 120V socket wiring be done by connecting 1 phase cable to just one of the legs to the Victron?

To complicate things a little further, I would like to connect a gasoline generator to the system, as I will actually use the generator more than shore power.

Analyzing the scenario, which inverter/charger would you recommend? Multiplus-II? Multiplus-II 2x120? Quattro-II? Quattro-II 2x120? I just don't know what to do. Should I finally buy an autotransformer?

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help!

Multiplus-IIshorepowerQuattro-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

No. The issue is both sources are SINGLE phase. The 2x120 units ARE 120V units that automatically handle switching between SINGLE phase 120V and SPLIT phase 120/240V in North America. If you connect 220 single phase to the input of a 2x120 unit, you will not get the desired results.

Assuming you spend more time in the 127V regions, the solution is to pick a 120 inverter, then use a 220V single phase charger that you use when connected to non 127V power. If you spend more time in the 220V regions, flip it around - 230V inverter/charger and 120V charger.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

doni avatar image
doni answered ·

Thank you for your message! I think it's a shame that Victron doesn't manufacture autovolt inverters/chargers, like so much equipment in our daily lives.

In countries like Brazil, where each city can have 127V or 220V, it is tragicomic that equipment that is not cheap cannot be used without causing concern to the user!

I'll evaluate what to do, but would it be worth buying the Quattro-II? The idea would be to simplify the automation of generator operation.

2 comments
2 |3000

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·
Unlike most consumer electronics that are voltage switchable, inverters are extremely complex, and doing so would essentially double the price of the inverter to maintain the same level of function at both voltages. This is not a Victron choice. You are not likely to find any brand with selectable DC or AC voltages.

Quattro or MP is at your preference. If you already have an ATS switching between shore/generator, MP is fine. If not, the Quattro may simplify your installation.

1 Like 1 ·
doni avatar image doni snoobler commented ·
Many thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources