question

cyan avatar image
cyan asked

Swollen smart battery protect

Hello all, have an issue with VictronConnect smart battery protect, I had one installed on both the in and out of the batteries as suggested on the VictronConnect wiring diagram.

On a recent inspection of my system

I noticed that the battery protection on the in side (solar chargers to battery) of the battery has swollen!

All connections are tight

4x 100ah life4 litium batteries connecting in parallel to create a 400ah 12v system

2 15/30 mppt smart soar chargers creating a combined 500w array although neve achieved more than 350w due to English weather,

All connected together via the victron energy cerboGX

I’ve not seen any draw or charge above 25A Certainly nothing near 100A which is the rating of the battery protect. I’ve removed said battery protect but I have a feeling the out is starting to swell although I could be paranoid but i noticed it was getting very warm but system Was only pulling 18A !?!

I can post a phot of the swollen one up if needed.

Any ideas ??

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

This usually indicates that its been incorrectly installed, For charging connection then Batt should go to the solar regulators and the load to the battery Pos connection.

If they are the wrong way around then the units will overheat and fail

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cyan avatar image
cyan answered ·

I checked this and it was the correct way round, both are as per victron’s wiring diagram.

The one still connected load side of battery is still getting very warm even though small amp load.

this was is connected batt to batt and load to the load.

I can’t see any reason why it would be getting so warm.

2 comments
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·
You seem to be talking that this unit is on the charge side of things, if so then from what you say its incorrectly connected. BAT on the BP should go the the solar chargers and LOAD to the battery. this NOT what you are saying in the orginal question. NOTE these units are NOT Bi directional. ie they can only be used on a load circuit or charge circuit, they cannot be used on a bidirectional circuit ie a multiplus inverter charger.

but then I may have missed what you are meaning. Maybe a wiring diagram of everything could be supplied

0 Likes 0 ·
cyan avatar image cyan Paul B commented ·

wiring sorry it’s a bit basic

0 Likes 0 ·
image.jpg (3.2 MiB)