question

ernest-t avatar image
ernest-t asked

Is Orion TR Smart 12/24-10 DC-DC Isolated Charger compatible with Minn Kota Trolling Motor with Bonding Wire?

I'm planning to use an Orion TR Smart 12/24-10 DC to DC charger to charge a 24 volt lithium battery for my trolling motor. The trolling motor is a Minn Kota. In the Minn Kota manual there is a warning that some alternator chargers can damage the circuitry in the motor unless the charger is compatible with the internal bonding wire in the motor. Is this charger safe to use with the Minn Kota motors?

This is the warning in the Minn Kota Manual: Your Minn Kota trolling motor may be designed with an internal bonding wire to reduce sonar interference. Most alternator charging systems do not account for this bonding wire, and connect the negative posts of the trolling motor batteries to the negative posts of the crank/starting battery. These external connections can damage connected electronics and the electrical system of your trolling motor, voiding your warranty. Review your charger’s manual carefully or consult the manufacturer prior to use to ensure your charger is compatible.

I'm thinking that because this charger is isolated and separates the grounds that it should be OK.

Thanks

alternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Should be ok with the isolated charger.. I wonder what potential that bonding wire is connected to to require a warning like that? It may be more to do with corrosion protection than sonar interference though...

As you generally won't be using the motor whilst charging the battery, I would think about a 2 pole disconnect switch to be safe. Also, you could try measuring the potential between the trolling negative and the starter negative with the trolling motor running. Then check potential between the charger output and the trolling negative before connecting. The latter check should give a very low voltage to BOTH of the charger terminals ( charger on) if the isolation is good.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Steve Dormaar avatar image
Steve Dormaar answered ·

Interesting that I've come across your question one year later while planning on doing the same thing - also concerned about Minn Kota's warning with a Terrova 24 volt iPilot. How has this installation worked out? I would appreciate your relating your experience on this. Thank you.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic