question

Viktor Stepanenko avatar image
Viktor Stepanenko asked

Smart Solar 250/60 and MultiPlus 5kVA dynamic limitation of feed-in current

I already have a 5 kW grid solar power station (not Fronius) and I want to add a system with Victron MultiPlus 5kVA, Smart Solar 250/60 and BYD battery. The total maximum output current of Victron and grid inverter (with full battery) will be equal to 45A, but I have input breaker only 32 A. Is it possible to dynamically limit the output current from the Smart Solar or MultiPlus so that the total current of the system does not exceed 32A?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargersmart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Viktor Stepanenko avatar image Viktor Stepanenko commented ·

Do I understand correctly, I need to use Power Assist function?

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ Viktor Stepanenko commented ·

No you don't. where did you get that assumption?

I have to advice you to work together with your installer / distributor to make sure you get the system well configured.

Pleas let the installation be done by an experienced installer, or do the install together so can learn from him/her.

0 Likes 0 ·
Viktor Stepanenko avatar image Viktor Stepanenko boekel ♦ commented ·

Dear Boekel, thank for yor answer.

I do not install this system yet. I will install this system together with my Victron installer but I want to be sure that this system can be well configured for my case. Please, could you give me more detailed information about how that system could be configured with external current sensor? I have read instruction that you sent to me but I didn't found how dynamically limit feed-in current from charge controller in this ESS.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ Viktor Stepanenko commented ·

You don't. the MPPT (solar charger) is charging the battery, the inverter only pushes this to the grid if you tell it to.

Usually it is set up so that you first charge the battery, and if that is (almost) full you start exporting to the grid.

The AC coupled PV inverter sents back to the grid also if the battery is full, and the Victron system will take care of the grid input (and output) limit by not adding more power when the grid limit is reached.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Yes in this situation the grid current limit works fine, as long as you put the solar on the output side of the multi (or use external current sensor)

In practice it is unlikely you will get to the 32A limit in this case.

2 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

and yes: the system will limit the MPPT power when necessary.

0 Likes 0 ·
Viktor Stepanenko avatar image Viktor Stepanenko commented ·

How can I dynamically maintain the output current at around 32A with an external current sensor? What settings need to be done?

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

The external current sensor is setup using assistants in the ve configure 3 software

and you will need one if you want to see what the grid tie inverter is doing on the venus unit.

also I would recommend that you add one of these to your installation

1551589996590.png (25.0 KiB)
1551590243131.png (32.5 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

viktor avatar image viktor commented ·

So, the external AC current sensor using only for monitoring? As I understood, l can't dynamicaly regulate the feed-in current from charge controller and I need to change my input circuit breaker on breaker with highter nominal?

0 Likes 0 ·