question

nico82 avatar image
nico82 asked

Can the Venus OS -running on beaglebone/rasp- work in ESS config on Multiplus 2 without GX capability

I want to build a system with

- Multiplus 2 5000VA

- Batteries

- MPTT for solar panels

The multiplus would be connected to the grid as a power backup or for extra power.

The multiplus must not feed in energy to the grid.

I first considered the Multiplus 2 5000 VA with GX option to manage ESS (well explained on website).

But recently I've been told that Venus OS running on Beaglebone (for instance) could replace the GX option, and would let me opportunities to save money and go deeper in the installation configuration.

Idea is in further step to connect management to my HomeAssistant raspberry.

Could you confirm I can make an ESS configuration with Venus OS on a beaglebone and a multiplus 2 without the GX option ?

For my knowledge, I understand the GX option, or Venus device/CCGX device just run this software on dedicated HW ?

Many thanks in advance for your help and patience :)

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You can run on a bare BBB, but the connectivity options require a USB because of only one USB port, one advantage of using RaspberryPi instead.
Then you will also need a MK3 - USB adaptor for VE.Bus connectivity to the MultiPlus and a VE.Direct USB for connection to the MPPT.
ESS runs just fine on the BBB or RaspberryPi.

What batteries to you intend to use? If you think about using any sort of Canbus battery communication then the BBB / RaspberryPi option become a problem due to the lack of CANBUS port.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nico82 avatar image nico82 commented ·
Thanks for your feedback.

Indeed my first idea would be to use pylontech us2000 batteries (CAN bus. I don't know if rs485 possible)

Other cheaper option would be dyness b3 battery, even if not recommanded by victron.

Last option i'm currently considering would be assembling custom lifepo4 3.2v 320Ah in a 16S2P configuration with probably JK bms (or Daly coupled with a 1A/2A balancer). Great cheaper, but some questions on safety and reliability...

Advices would be appreciated if you could offer me your feedback :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

You would need a GX device to run ESS.

USB CANbus adapters work on the Raspberry PI. I used the Canable USB when I was running Venus on a Pi 4.

The cost of USB to VE.Direct VE.Bus and CANbus adapters can add up but a PI system can still be built for less than Cerbo even if you don't use the GC Touch display.

0 Likes 0 ·
nico82 avatar image nico82 Kevin Windrem commented ·
When you write "need a gx device" -> do you consider a venus OS on rasp/beagle as a gx device ?
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem nico82 commented ·
Yes. Anything running Venus OS is a "Venus Device" or GX Device.
0 Likes 0 ·
nico82 avatar image nico82 Kevin Windrem commented ·
Many thanks :)
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources