question

andrew-mack avatar image
andrew-mack asked

What ESS can I use in Australian with my Multiplus.

In Australia from what I have found the Multi is not allowed to feed back to the grid. I have read up on the Assistants you can load but a lot of the information in not related to Australia. Could someone tell me the best assistant or setting to use if I want to:

1. Have the house run on battery's as mush as I can.

2. Only use the grid power when I have too to charge battery

3. Have the system change over from battery to grid by it's self with out having any input from me.

I have a 24 volt 5000 multi, flooded lead acid battery ( 875 amp/hrs) and 4500 watts of panels feeding the system. I do have a Lister Diesel gen that has a 24volt 3000watt gen, but that going to be attached to the system latter down the track. I also have a CCGX display as well.. It's all on the network as well. I have updated the firmware to 433.

Any advice would be nice.

Thanks

Andrew..

Victoria Australia..

Assistants
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi, if you have The solar connected using MPPT regs going straight to the batteries then

Install the assistant ess, then in the CCGX under ESS there is a selection to turn off export to grid.

If you are using a Grid Tie inverter, then what type of inverter are you using. as if it fronius then the settings are in the ess, but if its not then you need to setup assistants to do the turning on and off.

Ie (as a example) I turn my grid connection on ac1 in off (you use the general flag to ignore ac1 in) when SOC goes over 95% and then back on when it drops below 80%, (more details are needed this is just a ruff how to do and not fully correct)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Hi Andrew,

You can basically setup the system as an off-grid system, and use the generator assistant in the Multi to use the grid under curtain circumstances (low battery SOC, high loads, etc).

You -don't- use ESS setup in these systems if you don't want to feed back into the grid.

Because you have a Multi, and not a Quattro, you'll need an external switch to connect the generator to AC-in instead of the grid (Quattro has two AC-in connections).
If grid outages are not a regular thing and you normally get by by solar power, you might consider a manual bypass to 'wire in' the generator.

2 |3000

andrew-mack avatar image
andrew-mack answered ·

Thanks for the response, it is two very different approaches to the question. A bit more info and back ground is the GTI inverter I have is a SMA and it is wire to the mains side of the MULTI, this feeds back to the grid until the power fails and it then just sits there doing nothing until the mains power comes back on. I would like to utilise then GTI panels when the mains fails if possible. I would even go and get the inverter changed and rewired to the AC out side of the MULTI if it makes it possible.

I would like to have the generator start when the Battery SOC drops and the Grid is not there. I would prefer to charge battery's from solar first, mains second and Gen as a last resort. I am trying to incorporate a relay that I can open and close via the internet/online so I can start generator remotely as during the fire season as I have a pump on the Lister as well and sprinklers around the house. I live on a farm and have to work about 60 km from home and would like the Generator relay on the CCGX to do this if possible as I can turn it on and off. So can I program a relay on the MULTI to work Generator for power and have the option to start it also by remote for Fire.???

Any help would be appreciated.

solar1.png (17.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Yes you can use the CCGX in preference to start and stop the Generator remotely

and if you setup autostart then SOC gets low you can start it automatically and also stop it automatically when the SOC is full again or at a pre determined level,

As the Generator in your diagram shows it as a DC generator then a change over switch is not needed but you would still need advise on the need for anti-islanding relay as this maybe required. due to AUS regulations.

if you move the SMA inverter to the AC1 out on the Inverter. and setup ESS then it should all work quite well, The 1 to 1 rule also applies this is that the inverter has to be the same size or bigger than the PV array. also the SMA would need to be setup to turn off or de-rate on frequency change when the grid is not available.

Thius way the SMA would help to run loads and charge the battery if the grid was down

2 |3000

Related Resources