question

raftoda avatar image
raftoda asked

Multiplus II 5000va Split Phase 220v On-Grid Setup

I am seeking feedback on whether a 220v single phase Multiplus II 5000va is able to synchronize and work "on grid" with a 220v-240v split phase grid (L1+L2+G. NO NEUTRAL). There are no 110v loads or panelboards, all are 220v loads connected Line-Line.

The intention is to use the Multiplus synchronized with the grid together with an energy meter/export control to allow backflow of power to other loads and the utility.

I have successfully used a multiplus1 5000va with 220v split-phase generator through the input however this was off-grid, not synchronized, using the genset input to power the loads and charge the battery.

A picture of the grid service is below.

Appreciate any comments or feedback!

220v-split.png

Multiplus-IIsplit phase
220v-split.png (11.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

There is no problem using the multiplus-ii with 240V split phase and it is basically the same as 240V single phase. I am using a multiplus-2 to run pumps from a 240V split phase supply with no problems.

Multiplus is running in a kind of disconnected/island version of ESS as I am not allowed to invert and be connected to grid at the same time. So connect when battery low, disconnect and run loads.

Is is also my prefered way of doing it. I would rather install a single 240V inverter with an autotransformer for 110V appliances than 2x 120V inverters.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

raftoda avatar image raftoda commented ·
I have also done this setup using a generator that is split phase and it was successful.

My question is more around if the AC IN is synchronized to the utility with export to grid functionality, will it also work the same way or would there be any issues because it is a split phase grid.
0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake raftoda commented ·

There should not be any technical reason why it wouldn't work.
L1-L2 split phase is the same as L1-N single phase.
There is probably going to be a compliance problems if you are in the US. Will just need to jump through a few hoops.

0 Likes 0 ·