question

bobtreder avatar image
bobtreder asked

Color Control GX display not working

I have a Color Control GX monitoring a Victron MultiPlus 3000/120, two LifeBlue 300Ah lithium batteries, an MTTP 150 | 85 charge controller and 700 watts of solar panels on the roof of my trailer. We didn't use the trailer for 1 1/2 years do to covid pandemic. When I opened up the trailer the year the batteries had been maintained at full charge but the Color Control display does not show energy flow. The display lights up with Victron Energy Blue Power and logo but won't show the energy flow of the system. I contacted the distributer, AM Solar in Oregon USA, and talked to a support person. He walked me through the reboot process. I received the message on the Color Control to reboot from flash. I never received the flash for rebooting when I bought the system. AM Solar said maybe it could be sent to me. They never sent it and now they won't return my support call (both tele and computer submitted request). So I am reaching out to this support group. How can I get the micro flash card so I can reboot the Color Control or is there some other mechanism?

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I think "flash" refers to a USB stick plugged into the back of the CCGX. It needs a software image file on it. Instructions here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/CCGX/en/gx---how-to-update-firmware.html

Firmware update via flash is hardly ever required, plus the firmware is updated often so putting a flash drive in the box probably wouldn't help much.

Note that this procedure requires the CCGX to at least partially boot. If it's stuck at the "Starting ..." screen, this process may not work and you'll need to send the CCGX in for repair.

If the CCGX is booting but you are just not seeing the devices (check the device list menu, too), you may need to recheck the connections between the CCGX and the other devices.

The Multi will not be seen unless it's turned on via it's front panel.

If the batteries are charged and the Multi is not producing power to the AC loads there might not be any energy flow shown on the main display.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bobtreder avatar image bobtreder commented ·

Thanks, Kevin. I watched the upgrade video. It looks like what I need to do. I'll try this.

I just completed the upgrade, restarted the CCGX device and everything is working again. Thank you very much!! This has troubled me for several days.

By the way I did use a micro flash card to save the downloaded upgrade as instructed in the video link you sent. Then followed those instructions exactly to upgrade, restart and check version of upgrade.

0 Likes 0 ·