question

mercu1 avatar image
mercu1 asked

Sensing Alternator Current

As you may know, Victron does not provide direct support to anyone except authorized dealers and distributors and the Victron distributor known as ARW Maritime has directed me to this forum. I am seeking an answer from Victron Engineering.

I am an electrical engineer and an ABYC certified marine electrician. I am seeking some support regarding an installation of a Victron BMV-600 battery monitor.

The question I am asking is a detailed question about the transient current rating of the 500 amp shunt used in the BMV-600.

I am installing a BMV-600S battery monitor for a customer. The customers boat uses a grounded case alternator as a charge source for the battery to be monitored. In this scenario the alternator current flows in what is normally considered to be the starter negative cable that connects from the engine block to the batteries. In order to monitor the charge current from the engine alternator the starter cable from the engine block must connect to the load side of the shunt.

I understand that the shunt has a steady state current rating of 500 Amps. This installation will never exceed the 500 Amp steady state current rating of the shunt. However, when the starter motor is energized there will be a transient locked rotor current that flows through the shunt. This transient is very short (relatively speaking) and could be as high as 2000 Amps. This will not damage the copper conductive part of the shunt but it could damage the electronic part of the shunt. Victron is a fantastic engineering company and so it is entirely possible that Victron Engineering has provided protection from this kind of starter current transient.

My question to Victron Engineering is can the shunt can handle this transient starter current without damage?

Thank you.

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @mercu1

The BMV or shunt will not get damaged from this transient, but it will not be correctly measured and thus not correctly shown on the display.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mercu1 avatar image mercu1 commented ·
Thank you Thiemo. I have had many answers to this question (not on this forum), some from Victron Distributors. This is the only correct answer.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic