question

roamer105 avatar image
roamer105 asked

Tank 140 improvement recommendation

I am replacing a Blue Sea VSM 422 systems monitor. Everything but the tank levels have been taken over. I purchased a Tank 140 and interface it with the Blue Sea 1018 ultrasonic tank level sensors. Unfortunately these senders produce a voltage output range from about 0 to 1.2V where 1.2V is "FULL" and 0V would be the maximum tank depth of 32 inches.

Neither of the two tanks are at maximum depth so empty is about 0.6xxV on one and 0.945 on the other. Therein lies the dilemma. The voltage adjustments are in 0.1V increments. It would be VERY NICE if Victron engineering could change the interface to switch from 0.1V to 0.01V if the FULL level is selected under 2Volts.

This would broaden the applicability of the Tank 140 into the range of largely obsolete systems from Blue Sea (VSM 422 in particular).

AND - while they are at "fixing" the Tank 40 interface, fix the CCGX problem lacking the "Analog Inputs" menu. That should appear when a Tank 140 device is present.

tank monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I agree finer resolution would be handy from the GUI, but you can make finer adjustments via dbus-spy from the command line.

You can also get the menus to appear with:

dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings AddSettings\
            '%[{"path": "/AnalogInput/Resistive/1/Function2", "default":0} ]'
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

roamer105 avatar image
roamer105 answered ·

Thanks! I did the edit and ended up setting more precise values with dubs-spy. Works great!

2 |3000

luphi avatar image
luphi answered ·

I have exactly the same issue for a gas bottle scale.

Each time I change the bottle, I have to change the empty/full values according to the new tare and tare+11kg weights.

Doing that in the GUI would be much more comfortable than in dbus-spy, which is indeed a good workaround.

A higher resolution in the GUI (step 0.001) also requires a direct input field instead of or better additional to the increase/decrease buttons.

Cheers,

luphi

2 |3000