question

zabbaskeema avatar image
zabbaskeema asked

Ruuvi tag anyone?

Hi all!

Anyone is using the Ruuvi tag (https://ruuvi.com/ruuvitag/) with the Cerbo?

Any experience/hints/recommendations with anything welcome!

Mvader was playing with it early this year but the GIT is now down :(

Cheers!

Patrick

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered ·

Hi @zabbaskeema

I have Ruuvi tag temp sensors in my own set up as well as customer installations, via Cerbo GX with touch 50 and displaying on VRM, had a few issues with Cerbo Bluetooth on 2.80, if you use the latest firmware 2.84 they should be fine.

Under Settings - I/O - Bluetooth sensors - enable

Once enabled they should self discover, im running 3 Ruuvi's and 1 hard wired temp sensor, all display in VRM

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

@Wayne How do I get to show-up on one of the "Pages" so that its easy to see?

6 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
Tom avatar image Tom Kevin Windrem commented ·
Thank you @Kevin Windrem but can you provide the steps for installing these? I'm not a dev nor pretend to be one so any assistance is greatly appreciated.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Tom commented ·

The ReadMe file has instructions. It all starts with installing SetupHelper:

https://github.com/kwindrem/SetupHelper

which is described in it's ReadMe:

Blind Install:

1) Download venus-data.tgz from the SetupHelper GitHub repo.

2) copy it to the root of a freshly formatted SD card or USB memory stick

3) place the media in the GX device (Cerbo, CCGX, etc)

4) reboot the GX device TWICE - allowing the system to display the GUI each time

after the second reboot, you should find the Package Manager menus

at the bottom of the Settings menu

5) REMOVE THE MEDIA from the GX device

VERY IMPORTANT to prevent the next reboot from starting the process all over again

failure to do so could disable reinstalls following a Venus OS firmware update !!!

Then, go to / Settings / PackageManager / Inactive Packages and select Gui Mods from the list, and select Download, then Install

The ReadMe in GuiMods describes all the parameters that control what is displayed and limits for the gauges. Too much to copy here.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thank you!!
0 Likes 0 ·
Tom avatar image Tom Tom commented ·
Worked!! Thank you very much.

Now I need to figure out why Ruuvitag is showing C instead of F....

0 Likes 0 ·
Venus OS displays all temps in degrees C. I do have an option to display degrees F on the flow and mobile overview pages but that does not affect other areas of the GUI
0 Likes 0 ·
sac-rv avatar image
sac-rv answered ·

I installed mine a couple weeks ago. Super easy and works great. Bought mine from... https://icmontana.wordpress.com

1 comment
2 |3000

Jim avatar image Jim commented ·

Thanks for the lead. I sent Intelligent Controls an email.

EDIT: I bought four RuuviTag devices from Intelligent Controls today. Three of the regular version and one of the Pro (3-in1) devices. They had a better price than anyone else. $32 for the non-Pro devices.

0 Likes 0 ·
Steve Preston avatar image
Steve Preston answered ·

I have been testing 4 with my CerboGX and a total of 6 (2ea. inside my home) using their Ruuvi Station Android app.. I like them, especially for my camper's refrigerator. There is more fine tuning needed, but I think they will be a great additional tool for us in our configurations. I have made a few observations recently about them in this thread:
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/102911/venus-os-v28019-available-for-testing.html?childToView=104988#comment-104988

2 |3000

Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

I just purchased a Ruuvitag Pro after the recent 2.8 software upgrade to my Cerbo GX. I also updated the Ruuvitag's firmware and installed the app on my phone.

Ruuvitag is reporting to my phone and the VRM Portal. Now trying figure out how to get to showup on the Cerbo GX. Suggestions?

1 comment
2 |3000

GuiMods shows temps along the bottom of the flow overview and along the left of the mobile overview.

https://github.com/kwindrem/GuiMods

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

Thank you @Wayne. I've updated to 2.84.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) Is Victron going to provide an update or instructions for getting Ruvvitag info on the GX Touch? Its great that we can see things remotely but I would like to see the same info on the GX Touch.

6 comments
2 |3000

You mean like this?screen-shot-enhanced-flow-overview-split-temps-and.png

This is from GuiMods:

https://github.com/kwindrem/GuiMods

1 Like 1 ·
Wayne avatar image Wayne Kevin Windrem commented ·
@Kevin Windrem very cool, thanks for that..
0 Likes 0 ·
Tom avatar image Tom Wayne commented ·
@Wayne yes used the GUI update process provided above and its working, except that its showing degrees C instead of F so working on that. Thanks!!
0 Likes 0 ·
There is an option in Settings / Display & Language / GuiMods to select the temperature scale.
0 Likes 0 ·
@kevinvh yep, found it. Thanks again!!
0 Likes 0 ·
Wayne avatar image Wayne commented ·

@Tom you should see the Ruuvi in the Device list on the GX Touch 50, as well as the VRM?

20220218-100800.jpgImage Caption

0 Likes 0 ·
Jim avatar image
Jim answered ·

I'm looking to buy a set of the RuuviTag devices to work with my new Cerbo GX and Touch 50. These would be for in my RV trailer to measure inside/outside temperatures and also refrigerator/freezer temperatures.

To measure the outside temperature, the RuuviTag would be inside the propane cover (on the tongue). Is that OK for the RuuviTag, or should I get the Pro version?

Based on @ranger-rocko's post it looks like the Cerbo will work with four RuuviTag devices without additional equipment. Is that correct?

Where are you US-based folks buying the RuuviTag devices from?

4 comments
2 |3000

The propane tank cover might get hot when the sun hits it giving false reading. It's not really waterproof in there but probably OK.

I recommend the sealed pro version for outside. I have an analog sensor under the trailer which might be a good place to attach the pro version. It's always out of the sun and isn't visible.

I am a little disappointed with the accuracy at colder temperatures. I have 3 units and the spread at 0 degrees F used up the entire 0.4 degree spec. If I had it to do over again, I'd use the pro versions which have much higher accuracy specs.

There have been reports of 6 Ruuvi sensor on one GX device so 4 should not be an issue.

Unfortunately, I have not found a US source for these. Some are showing up on eBay but the price is about the same as you'd pay direct from Ruuvi. The price comes down with multiple units and the shipping is a fixed fee so it may be your best (only?) purchase option.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jim avatar image Jim Kevin Windrem commented ·
Thanks for the information. I did find the device at FreedomVanGo and Northern Arizona Wind and Sun. But no mention of the Pro version.
0 Likes 0 ·
Tom avatar image Tom Jim commented ·
I purchased a Pro and regular Ruuvi tag off eBay. Be aware that the seller has an address in Wisconsin but the products ship from the Virgin Islands. I updated the firmware on both and they installed/linked to my Cerbo easily.
0 Likes 0 ·
aplord avatar image aplord Kevin Windrem commented ·
I have 9 Ruuvis attached to one Cerbo GX, it works just fine.
0 Likes 0 ·
drlbradley avatar image
drlbradley answered ·

Anyone looking for Ruuvi tags in the UK, Energy Monkey have just started selling them!

1 comment
2 |3000

Al avatar image Al commented ·
But they are literally double the price from Energy Monkey!? Ok a bit less than half price after import taxes , but anyone in the UK is better off buying directly from Ruuvi. It was fast shipping with DHL.
0 Likes 0 ·
laura-hanson avatar image
laura-hanson answered ·

Hi friends, we recently published a blog and video about using the built-in relays the Cerbo to control things like temperature using a RuuviTag or Ruuvi Pro. The blog gives step-by-step instructions for connecting an out-of-the-box Ruuvi to a Cerbo, how to set a relay controlled by temperature data coming from the Ruuvi, and how to set alerts in VRM. https://icmontana.com/blogs/news/monitor-temperature-on-victrons-cerbo-gx-using-ruuvi-sensors , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA6euxouvMM.

We also sell all three models of the Ruuvi, their Ruuvi Sensor Measurement Kit and some helpful accessories on our online store: https://icmontana.com/collections/vendors?q=Ruuvi

2 |3000