question

dbx120 avatar image
dbx120 asked

Internal or External MEN Link - Off-grid residential - Australia

Hi Everybody,

The Victron inverters and inverter chargers come with the internal MEN link set "on" as standard. I'm just wondering how many of you would turn this off and create a hardwired MEN link in the switchboard when installing for an off-grid residence/anything that isn't a vehicle/boat?

If you prefer to use the built-in MEN link, why?

If you provide for an AC generator input plug, how do you deal with the fact that not all come with their own MEN link?

Phoenix InverterGeneratormen
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @DBX120,

Please see my answer here which explains the behaviour of the internal MEN (ground relay):

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/1702/multiplus-with-generator-and-residual-current-devi.html

There is then further information in the chapter "Ground, earth and electrical safety" of the Victron publication Wiring-Unlimited-EN.pdf

If that still leaves you with questions, please follow up here and I might be able to help.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources