question

mfoo avatar image
mfoo asked

Venus GX 2.72 - Issue loading 2.70 large firmware

Looking to experiment with Node-Red on a Venus GX running standard 2.72 firmware. Having trouble getting a Large image to flash, receiving "No firmware file found" error when selecting to load firmware through the GUI.

Tried two different mSD cards that the Venus GX otherwise happily uses for logging. Also tried with the mSD cards in a mSD-USB reader-stick.

Perhaps there's an issue with trying to downgrade from a version tagged 2.72 to 2.70?

Any hints?

Steps taken:

* Download venus-swu-beaglebone-20210416112300-v2.70~5-large-18.swu from Dropbox link onto mSD card,

* Insert into mSD slot on Venus GX,

* Confirm the .swu file is visible in /run/media/mmcblk0p1,

* Try to search/load firmware file through GUI from SD/USB,

* Receive no firmware file error

Venus OSfirmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all, for some Venus GX-es, v2.73 is needed to do the auto repartitioning.

thats probably the answer to why such extreme (and somewhat risky) workarounds were required, involving check-update.sh -swu.

Back then, v2.73 wasn’t available yet.

it is now: just install v2.73 first on a Venus GX, and you’ll be fine

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mfoo avatar image
mfoo answered ·

Solved by updating from the command line... Now running Node-Red and SignalK.

If someone else comes across this in the future:

root@beaglebone:~# /opt/victronenergy/swupdate-scripts/check-updates.sh -swu /media/mmcblk0p1/venus-swu-beaglebone-20210416112300-v2.70_5-large-18.swu

Results in:

---

Updating to /media/mmcblk0p1/venus-swu-beaglebone-20210416112300-v2.70_5-large-18.swu

Starting swupdate to install version /media/mmcblk0p1/venus-swu-beaglebone-20210416112300-v2.70_5-large-18.swu ...

software set: stable mode: copy2

Swupdate v2016.10.0

[...]

[NOTIFY] : SWUPDATE successful !

do_swupdate completed OK. Rebooting

---

6 comments
2 |3000

jeroen avatar image jeroen ♦ commented ·

In general, you should NOT DO THIS!!!. But this indeed will work fine, see https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/378#issuecomment-821964052
Especially: "Note that v2.70 includes automatic repartition of the Venus GX on boot: so for a fresh install of Venus OS Large onto a Venus GX of before HQ1842, its now no longer necessary to manually repartition. All thats needed is to first install v2.70~5 once.". It will work again automatically once a new large image is build.

0 Likes 0 ·
mfoo avatar image mfoo jeroen ♦ commented ·

Agree it should not be normal procedure but there was not another obvious way to move forward.

I assumed repartitioning was not necessary as the device already had firmware v2.72 installed.

0 Likes 0 ·
miles avatar image miles mfoo commented ·

Hi mfoo,

I had the same issue with my VenusGX, it would not update for me either. I tried your way but with a later version file I downloaded.

root@beaglebone:~# /opt/victronenergy/swupdate-scripts/check-updates.sh -swu /media/mmcblk0p1/venus-swu-beaglebone-20210810115008-v2.80_11-large-20.swu

Just for others, the file has to be on the microSD card not a USB. But it all worked for me. Thanks heaps !!! much appreciated

0 Likes 0 ·
gnagflow avatar image gnagflow commented ·

Hello,

had the same problem, i had venus gx large version 2.70 and wanted to update to 2.80.16. The system wasnt able to read any files on the usb so i tried your solution with following file on my venux GX:

venus-swu-einstein-20210905120426-v2.80~16-large-21.swu

After successful installation my venus gx restarted. But now it is dead i cant access it, i have no control over the venus gx.

what could be the problem, how could i retrive the venus gx?

thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
gnagflow avatar image gnagflow gnagflow commented ·
I undertand that i took the wrong swu file instead of the beaglebone the einstein.

Now i installed several images (.img) on sd card and flashed it to the venus gx. At the moment i am on version 2.73.

I think it worked but the problem is, that i get the message, that an unauthorized device is sending data. its not accepting the data in the vrm portal. i dont find an ip to access the venusGx. I cannot access it via remote control. i cant delete the venusGx from the device list, to add it again.

has someone any idea?

0 Likes 0 ·
Marcel avatar image Marcel gnagflow commented ·
Maybe your identifier of your system has changed. I've red some documentation in where you can switch to the new identifer. I asume that will replace the old identifier, but lets you keep your historical data.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I was able to use the menu install v2.70~5-large-18 while running v2.72 on both a Raspberry Pi 4 and Cerbo.

2 comments
2 |3000

mfoo avatar image mfoo commented ·
Clearly it must be working for most folks or there would be other posts with questions.

I did not thoroughly debug the check-updates script to see why it would not present/accept the firmware update file in my setup.
0 Likes 0 ·
jeroen avatar image jeroen ♦ commented ·

this is about a Venus GX.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic