question

hjazeeri avatar image
hjazeeri asked

Victron Smartshunt what to set the parameters at

I have installed the Victron smartshunt 500a and wanted to change the default settings according to my set up

My set up is the followings:

- 6x300 watts pv panels each 3 connected in parallel making two strings then connected in series which gives about 60 to 70 volts

- MPPT 150v 60 amps tr controller

- Two 12v/200 amps hour lead carbon batteries (Hollandia HP12-200CA) connected as 24 volts system

Battery data pdf

- A 3000 watts inverter RAGGIE RGS-3000W/N for 220v system

What the following settings should be:

1 - Charged voltage

2 - Tail current

3 - Peukert exponent

4 - Charge efficiency factor

5 - Current threshold

Do i need to change the SOC setting if it already matches since the batteries are already full charge 28.5 volts and SOC showing 100%?

For the MPPT what to set the Absorption, Float and Equalizing voltages also the max charge current ?

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Hjazeeri

I have not used your batteries. But from what i can see from the datasheet and use of other lead carbons i can suggest the following.

See this page for an explanation of the settings.

Some experimentation may be needed so you will have to keep an eye on it for a bit. If you have charged the batteries fully then you start at 100%.

Your battery specs 13.8v to 14v range.

So absorption 14v x2, float 13.8v x2

Peukerts - start with a 1.15 and see if you sync up and dont have SOC drift over a few days or so.

Leave the tail current for now. 4% it is usually good.

Charge efficiency of lead carbon are typically between 92 and 94 %

Current threshhold I often leave at 0.1 it cancels 'noise' as described in the page linked

Equalisation is an interesting one, as the datasheet mentions nothing (just cycling use between 13.8 and 14.) and in a cycling system depending on dod you may not need to do it. Revisit it later or contact manufacturers for their recommendations.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hjazeeri avatar image hjazeeri commented ·
Thanks a lot,

I have implemented your suggestions, for the equalization i left at 32.4 the default.

Charged voltage was set at 27.6 , hope its ok at 0.3 less than absorption which is 28 v

For the SOC i will wait until the voltage hit the float and current about zero and set it at 100%

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic