question

bamboozle46 avatar image
bamboozle46 asked

Battery protect for underfloor heating thermostat.

Hi,

I have fitted 12v infrared heated mat to my floor and walls of my caravan, controlled by 2 12v STC 1000 digital thermostat controllers. I have a 40A ANL fuse from the battery which runs to 2 separate 30A midi fuses for the 2 thermostats. The current drawing from the batteries is about 32A, hence why I have 2 thermostats, 1 for the floor and 1 for the walls.

My reasoning is I have a 3500W power inverter, which has a low voltage alarm and disconnect for anything 230v, but with the floor and wall heating being 12v and direct from the batteries, if the heating is left on all night, the batteries could discharge too far and I would not know. Therefore I would like to install the victron battery protect, so while I am asleep, if the heating runs the batteries down too far, the battery protect would disconnect the heating so as not to damage the batteries.

Would I be able to fit a victron 65A battery protect in between the 40A ANL fuse and the 2 30A fuses of the thermostats, or would the thermostats be classed the same as an inverter, where by the initial start up is too much for the battery protect???

Thanks,

Barry.

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The heaters would be resistive loads, so they don't have any initial inrush current. The initial current is the same as the constant current.
A 65A Battery Protect would work just fine with this type of load.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.