question

dgeist avatar image
dgeist asked

Which Charger/Power-Supply for a 12v "DC UPS" application?

I'm migrating my home automation and network setup from traditional AC powered rack mount computers and switches backed by a 2RU UPS to be all-DC with a decent sized 12v battery bank and step-up/down converters to regulate/convert to the various 5v/12v/48v device requirements. The idea is to make a rudimentary DC "UPS" and keep it topped up normally via house current so I operate more efficiently (no AC/DC loss) in the event of an outage.The calculated DC power used looks to be around about 300w peak.

Any recommendations on chargers that can double as a power supply? Would a blue-smart rated at about 30A work like this (i.e. 100% duty cycle) as a power supply in addition to keeping the battery charged? Also, curious about recommended chemistry. My outages would be infrequent (a few times a year) but likely be 5-10 mins or 12+ hours. Any benefit to bumping up the voltage to 24v? Only the small PoE switch requires more than 12v (and that's 48V/1.25A).

Thanks!

Dan

MPPT Controllersbattery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
ddickov avatar image
ddickov answered ·

Hi Dan

I have thought about purchasing a victron battery charger a few times, I know some of the models are able to be used as a power supply also or a charger two modes can be set on certain models, this would make it easier to monitor also with the victron app I hope this helps a bit thanks david, I also require a step down for 5v USB’s I will update if I find a good reputable one and let you know.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.