question

md-canada avatar image
md-canada asked

Current state of RV-C tank monitors like SeeLevel II 709-RVC

What is the current state of support for something like the SeeLevel II 709-RVC CAN bus tank monitor?

tank monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

No change in RVC status but Garnet does sell a NMEA2000 version of their 3-tank sensor system. It's not in the catalog so you need to contact Garnet directly to see if they'll sell you one.

The N2K version works with Venus v2.71 and newer. But with long internally generated tank names. My GuiMods truncates the tank names to 3 words making the display look better.

https://github.com/kwindrem/GuiMods

TankRepeater makes the N2K version work for Venus v2.66 and older:

https://github.com/kwindrem/TankRepeater

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

md-canada avatar image md-canada commented ·
Thanks. Do you know if anyone is working on RV-C tank monitors? I already have a SeeLevel II 709-RVC, so I don’t want to just replace it if RV-C support is imminent.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem md-canada commented ·
I don't think Victron is working on anything RV-C.

For what it's worth, you would only need to replace the display module. The senders you have can be reused.

If you need RV-C data for other displays in your RV then you'd need to ask Garnet about running an RV-C display along side an N2K display, one as a primary and one as a secondary.

0 Likes 0 ·
ecschnei avatar image
ecschnei answered ·

@Kevin Windrem [@Victron] would it be possible in venusos or when guimods truncated the name an option to use a nickname since I have 1 fresh 2 grey and 2 black. I see all tanks in venusos but it's not intuitive which tanks are which

3 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Unfortunately, substituting custom names gets kind of complicated. First, the identification from the driver needs to be unique. For your two gray tanks, are the names shown on the stock Venus OS tanks page the same or different? If they are the same, then I'd need to use something else like the instance ID which might change over time. It might even be based on order of discovery.

This is why I've been begging Victron to provide a custom name field for all such external devices. This is not an issue for local tanks but for those that come in externally, Victron's position is the external device should provide the custom name. (Tank capacity is also in this same category but SeeLevel RV-C does not provide it.)

0 Likes 0 ·
ecschnei avatar image ecschnei Kevin Windrem commented ·
There is a tank number based on where the tank sensor is in line of the chain. So my fresh is listed as fresh water 0, then my grey tank 1, black tank 2, grey tank 3, and black tank 4. Victron adds waste on the grey tank and sewage to the black tank. This makes the cerbo unable to show the tank number but vrm shows the entire description. I'll reach out to see level about it but I'd like to pull victron in on this. I can also send some screenshots when I get home to help visualize what I'm seeing.
0 Likes 0 ·
ecschnei avatar image ecschnei Kevin Windrem commented ·
I've sent more info to seelevel about Victron's position on this. I also forwarded an older thread with the same issue in nema2k installs. I'll update you when I hear something.
0 Likes 0 ·
ecschnei avatar image
ecschnei answered ·

[@Victron] any thoughts?

2 |3000