question

tonytheron57 avatar image
tonytheron57 asked

Quattro 10kw can i set it up to only use grid when batteries get low?

Hi, i am a newbie and struggling with a new installation.

9kw solar panels with 5kw sunny boy and 4kw sunny boy both on FIT

Quattro 10kw with colour CGX/wifi module (not ordered a mk3 usb yet)

1240ah Lead acid batteries

Want to set it up so i only use grid power when batteries get down to say 40% and or solar subsides at night

Cant seem to work it out have tried using the remote vec configure but all i can do is charge batteries and put excess down the grid but it goes back to mains draw when solar dips

It will power all when i switch off the mains but not switch to just batteries when the solar subsides at night.

Is there anyone who can help me set this up and understand it as i am sure it can do it but i am not clever enough to work it out.

Any one able to help?

VictronConnectquattro 10kva
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

There's an "Ignore AC" assistant that can be loaded on the Quatro. One of the conditions is state of charge which should do what you want.

Note that when ignore AC is active, AC input values are not reported. It's as if the AC input as not present at all.

You'd need the MK3 USB and the Windows only VE Configure application. I run this under Parallels on my Mac. Others have reported running it under Wine.

Another option may be ESS. This manages battery usage better and more automatically.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tonytheron57 answered ·

ok i have ordered a mk3 usb and will try that but so far cant enable ess as on my cgx i have ticked it but it says "no ess assistant found"

any advice?

1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
The ESS assistant (like all assistants) needs to be installed on the Multi/Quatro, not on the GX device.
0 Likes 0 ·
tonytheron57 answered ·

Hi Kevin, sorted it out now by buying and setting up the mk3 usb on windows and using ve configure and a self consumption assistant

It comes up with a virtual "knob" to set the amount of grid power..

Only thing i dont understand now is my Green system box on the cgx unit switches between passthru and float?

Batteries have held at 100%

Thanks

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows