question

kiwiken avatar image
kiwiken asked

EasySolar Interference from Electric Fence unit

I have an Off-Grid system with an Easysolar 48/5000 with BMV712, 3 KW of solar panels and 300 AH of Lead Carbon Batteries. The system works great, very happy with my Victron equipment, 2 years now.

Today I plugged in a grunty electric fence unit, mains powered, 25 joule output, approx 30W consumption. The unit is in a shed 50m from the cabin with its own earth system.

The Easysolar does not seem to like the pulsing load on the 230v supply. The load shown on the colour control bounces between 30W and 45W, and an audible hum with some clicks changes in sync with the <1 second pulses. At one stage the colour control showed the battery stuck on 50v with 0.0 amps.Not wanting to damage the Easysolar I disconnected the electric fence. It seems to me as if the ? millisecond pulse of AC demand can't be kept up with by the Multiplus.

In the world of DC, I would add a 10,000uF capacitor to flatten out the load peaks.

In the AC world what can I do? are there settings in the Multi that can help? Would a motor start capacitor or power factor capacitor do the trick?

Has anybody got any ideas?

Many Thanks.

EasySolar All-in-One
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
It may be more likely the fact it has its own earthing system?

Anything going to earth in housing wiring is usually in fault condition.

The second issue could be the harmonics caused by the frequency change done in the fence unit

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers