question

michel-dumais avatar image
michel-dumais asked

Upgrading CCGX from 2.60 to 2.71

Guys,

Tried to upgrade my CCGX from 2.60 to 2.71 connect to the internet using the download and install option.

After the update, the CCGX automatically rebooted, but it's getting stuck to the Victron Energy splash screen.

-Pressing the Pages and Menu button to reset the unit didn't help.

-Unplugging the power of the unit for 30 seconds didn't do much.

Afterward, I did download a version on a miniSD card, but from here I have no clue where to go to move forward. If I need to reset to factory so be it. Either way, I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thx!

Michel

CCGX Color Control
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @Michel Dumais

Is the CCGX registered on VRM?
Is VRM still receiving data?
Is remote support enabled on the CCGX?
When this is all the case, perhaps you can give the site name so we can try to login remotely and see what is going on?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
michel-dumais avatar image michel-dumais Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

Thiemo,

In normal circonstance, I would have been able to connect it to the internet, but at this point I can't.

Yesterday I have tried to reset it to factory following the instruction of the 13. Reset to factory defaults procedure without success. Even if I waited several hours it never reset itself

I will try a USB drive to see if that would help, but beside that I out of ideas. Is there another reset to bring it to life?

Thanks for your help.

Michel Dumais

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Advise given to me by Mvader to restore to a older firmware version

hope this helps,

Note that you can downgrade to v2.66 or other version, by downloading the file here and using a usb put it on the USB stick then reboot the device, wait for it to restart then boot again and this is suppose to reset everything back to factory default.

http://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/venus/release/images/ccgx/

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

A software update does not restore settings to factory defaults, but there is a procedure for a factory defaults reset that should work on the CCGX:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Venus_GX/GX_Device_Manual-en.pdf

chapter 14

The system needs to run long enough to execute the code that erases settings, so it depends on where things hang up. Still, I'd try both, starting with a downgrade to v2.66 or whatever the last known working version was.

0 Likes 0 ·
michel-dumais avatar image michel-dumais commented ·

Paul,

I've tried with the 2.60 version downloaded from the link you've provided. I've also tried the default venus-data.tar on both miniSD and USB card newly formatted but the unit just doesn't want to boot from them at all. Once I reset the CCGX, it goes to splash screen, after 3 second I see the unit flash again to the splash screen again but it never goes to starting screen.

Let me know how I could reset it deeper.

Michel Dumais

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi,

You can try the following "upgrade" procedure: CCGX: Upgrading to v2 [Victron Energy]

This was the procedure to upgrade the CCGX from v1.74 to v2.18, but in this case can be used to downgrade to v2.18, cleaning the internal storage in the process. When this succeeds and the CCGX is up and running again, you can update to the latest firmware version.

During the downgrade, the display should show some text. When the downgrade fails and this text stays visible, please make a photo when possible and post that here. That might help us in providing more info on what is going on.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

michel-dumais avatar image
michel-dumais answered ·

Paul,

I've tried with the 2.60 version downloaded from the link you've provided. I've also tried the default venus-data.tar on both miniSD and USB card newly formatted but the unit just doesn't want to boot from them at all. Once I reset the CCGX, it goes to splash screen, after 3 second I see the unit flash again to the splash screen again but it never goes to starting screen.

Let me know how I could reset it deeper.

Michel Dumais

2 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

The CCGX isn't booting off USB or SD card. I believe both the software update via USB/SD and the settings reset (using the venus-data.tar file) require Venus OS to be running, at least partially. It doesn't sound like the CCGX is getting that far.

For the settings reset, make sure you remove the USB/SD card when the system reboots. If you leave that card in the system, it will reboot indefinitely.

You may need to contact a dealer for a replacement CCGX.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi,

It is not completely clear to me, but have you also tried the procedure I linked in my answer?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·