question

mfloeffler avatar image
mfloeffler asked

Cerbo GX connection to Smart Solar MPPT 150/70

I live on a catamaran sailboat. I have 2 engines with 115a Mitsubishi alternators which charge their individual Optima AGM start battery. One of the engines charges my 3 x 300 amp Relion Lithrum house batteries. I just acquired a Cerbo GX with the GX Touch 50 display and plan to connect it to the already installed Multi 12/3000, Smart Shunt 500, and 2 Smart Solar MPPT 150/70 controllers. Unless there is a better option, I am planning on connecting these via the ve.direct cables. I wasn’t sure about the solar controllers though as i couldn’t find in the manuals whether I needed to hook both of them up or just one.

Another install question- Once the Cerbo GX is connected to everything and working properly, is there any need to visually see it? I‘m considering putting it behind a not easily accessed panel with the Touch 50 display on the exterior

Any clarification would be appreciated.

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You need to connect the Multi with a VE.Bus cable (standard CAT-5/6 ethernet cable), not VE.Direct.

You need to connect both Smart Solar MPPT controllers to Cerbo. No other options.

No access to Cerbo is needed after installation. Everything is done through the Touch 50.

There is an SD card slot for off-line software updates or off-line VRM logging, and also a button to control Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. None of this would require frequent access.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.