question

kurtprit avatar image
kurtprit asked

Battery Temperature Monitoring

I have a MultPlus 3000VA and a SmartSolar MPPT 100/20. Which is the cheapest way to have these products self-monitor the batteries internal temperature and use that feed-back to adjust their operation?

Temperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

The Multi plus should come with a temperature sensor to attach to the battery negative. (Even if the manual says it is isolated - it isn't.) The MPPT uses its own temperature sensing, and needs to be within 5C of the battery temperature for correct compensation. If you want remote temperature sensing for the MPPT, this involves a lot of extra gear and expense. The Temperature compensation rate of the MPPT can be programmed, so if you have a big temperature difference, you could compensate by adjusting the battery voltage setpoints manually (custom battery setting).

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kurtprit avatar image kurtprit commented ·
I bought a T-Sensor ($50), created a network on my cell phone (Victron app) and added the sensor and controller to this network. Relatively quick and easy.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor