question

rwcran avatar image
rwcran asked

Multiplus 3000 12v reporting "Unknown" vs inverting

While monitoring Multiplus 12/3000 with Victron Connect app the overview display alternates between the normal display showing; inverting, battery amperage drain, and battery temperature. It will then change and display "Unknown" and only the battery voltage. It alternates constantly between these two displays. This began when I updated to the latest firmware on the BMV-712 and Multiplus. Both devices indicate they are running the latest firmware. The Multiplus is inverting normally and outputting 120 VAC. How do I fix this?
img-4993.png

img-4994.png

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
img-4994.png (130.0 KiB)
img-4993.png (117.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

13 Answers
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi all.

We have released VictronConnect v5.44 a few minutes ago, it contains the previous v1.09 VE.Bus Smart Dongle firmware which is bug-free.

To make things easier this VictronConnect version checks the dongle firmware version, and if it is on v1.10 a downgrade to v1.09 request is displayed.

Our apologies for the troubles caused and thank you all for reporting the issue and small details that helped us to quickly find the issue.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kenj avatar image kenj commented ·
Will this auto update, and is it a fix for 24 volt 5000 multi, having the same problem.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
boonienoobie avatar image
boonienoobie answered ·

I'm getting the same problem after updating the firmware for my VE.Bus Smart dongle which is attached to my Multiplus 3000VA 12-Volt. It also started happening for me after updating firmware today.
combined.png

combined.png (141.5 KiB)
5 comments
2 |3000

rwcran avatar image rwcran commented ·
Sounds like this is a firmware bug problem. Perhaps the answer is to load the previous version of firmware back onto the unit? I have never done that but I think it's possible?
0 Likes 0 ·
If I can find the previous version of firmware at Victron for the smart dongle I will try to load it as this seems like we are both having the same problem with the latest firmware. I will try that tomorrow, but I am not sure it can be done. It is very frustrating this is happening as one would expect they properly tested the new firmware before releasing it?
0 Likes 0 ·
boonienoobie avatar image boonienoobie rwcran commented ·

Yeah it's frustrating. This page https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/en/firmware-updates.html#UUID-705fe0d3-30d8-e6e6-aad1-856f4ac6e3b3 has some ways to install firmware but I'm not sure where to get the old version. Since the app upgrade and firmware upgrade happened at the same time for me, I'm not sure whether to blame the app or the firmware. I think I'm going to wait on an app update from Victron, who knows how long that will take since I can't find any way get direct support from the company.

0 Likes 0 ·
rwcran avatar image rwcran boonienoobie commented ·

Latest update. I contacted my Victron source and this is a firmware bug in their most recent firmware release. Victron is aware of the problem and working to fix it. Once fixed they will push out a new firmware update via the Victron App. Supposedly for those using the Victron App on iPhones we should get an update available notice from the App Store. I also checked if it's possible to revert back to the previous version of firmware and the answer was no. This is a Victron faux pas and at least it did not seem to impact the Multiplus' functionality! What I takeaway from this is the next time there is an update available for Victron Connect App I will not install it and will wait at least a month after the update appears before installing. The only exception would be if I am having a immediate problem that the new firmware will fix, then I would install it immediately. The firmware code is installed on the Connect App so if you don't download and install the new Connect App you won't be required to install the new firmware.

0 Likes 0 ·
dnnypck avatar image dnnypck rwcran commented ·
Wow thank you so much this is a huge relief. Considering we've been deep in the Maine wilderness I've been freaking out that our system is faulty. Now I can relax a little bit. In retrospect I do recall doing a firmware update before it started happening 3 days ago too.
0 Likes 0 ·
georgeleonardo avatar image
georgeleonardo answered ·

I'm having the same issue after updating my Multiplus 2000VA

2 |3000

ankimo1978 avatar image
ankimo1978 answered ·

Sounds quiet similar to my issue which I reported. MultiPlus shows wrong loading state

2 |3000

waffleking avatar image
waffleking answered ·

Same issue here after the latest update.

VE.Bus Smart Dongle Firmware v1.10

MultiPlus 24/3000/70-50 120V Firmware v430

2 |3000

wts avatar image
wts answered ·

Same thing here. My says fault, then shows the data, and then reads unknown.

1 comment
2 |3000

dnnypck avatar image dnnypck commented ·
Another user reported this is a firmware bug and a fix is being prepared.
0 Likes 0 ·

Hello all,

We are looking into this but so far we can't reproduce the issue. Can you try to power cycle the dongle and check if the issue persists? Also let us know which firmware version is the MultiPlus running.

1. Disconnect the RJ45 cable
  2. Disconnect the green terminal block
  3. Wait 30 seconds
  4. Connect the RJ45 cable
  5. Connect the green terminal block
7 comments
2 |3000

mccluretj avatar image mccluretj commented ·
I will attempt to conduct the power cycle tonight when I get home from work but there is clearly an issue as we updated the firmware.
0 Likes 0 ·

I have power cycled the dongle and the Multiplus removing all power for 5 minutes and this did not correct the problem. The issue began "immediately" (and everyting was working correctly prior to the update) upon installing the most current firmware version on the dongle and the multi. The dongle is running firmware V1.10, Bootloader V1.04 and the Multi V459. I am only having issues with the multi as it's the only deviuce I have using a dongle. My solar controller and BMV-712 don't use a dongle and both appear to be functioning correctly from my iPhone Victron Connect App. Until you get this fixed how about putting out a temporary version of dongle firmware release on Victron Connect that has the previous firmware version so I can get my system back in full operation? This situation is frustrating for users.

0 Likes 0 ·
I can also report I have the latest version of Victron Connect (V5.42) on my Apple Macbook Air and it is exhibiting the same issue when connecting to the multi via the dongle.
0 Likes 0 ·
stevenson0817 avatar image stevenson0817 rwcran commented ·

I too am experiencing the same issue. Updated my dongle yesterday and have had the same issues being reported. Version 1.10 for dongle and version 430 for inverter. Camping now a fix would be very helpful. Only happened after I updated to 1.10.

0 Likes 0 ·
wts avatar image wts commented ·

Just followed directions. Same problems

0 Likes 0 ·
waffleking avatar image waffleking commented ·

Followed the direction. No change in behavior. Problem persists.

VictronConnect v5.43

VE.Bus Smart Dongle Firmware v1.10

MultiPlus 24/3000/70-50 120V Firmware v430

screenshot-20210629-104410.png

0 Likes 0 ·
matt116t avatar image matt116t commented ·

Tried above steps, problem still persist.

Multiplus 12/3000 120-50 120v. Firmware V430

Smart Dongle. Firmware V1.10 Bootloader V1.04

0 Likes 0 ·
mccluretj avatar image
mccluretj answered ·

Mine is doing the same thing just started when I updated the new version software on Friday as I was camping in my 5th wheel. I will closely monitor this thread to see if they come up with a solution. I must admit it has been a long time since I have had battery anxiety but when this happened I was starting to feel some sort of anxiety, lol

r/

Tim

2 |3000

ankimo1978 avatar image
ankimo1978 answered ·

I have the same issue and before II have read about the power cycling of the dongle I switched the MultiPlus off and tried to restart it. The MultiPlus showed no reaction when I switched it on again. I retried multiple times. No chance. Then I read about power cycling the dongle. Before the Power cycle I cut off AC In. After the Power Cycle I was able to switch the MultiPlus on again. The dongle showed “unknown”. After connecting AC In again the dongle showed for a few seconds “bulk” and then jumped back into “fault”. On the BMV I can see that the MultiPlus is still charging with over 50 Amps while the Yellow LED on the device itself also shows “charger”.

Right now the system seems to work, but the dongle shows wrong information. Hope that helps.

2 |3000

s-signor avatar image
s-signor answered ·

Same issue on my system

2 |3000

Thank you all for reporting the issue, the different messages here helped us to find it.

A new VictronConnect version that rolls back the firmware to the previous 1.09 version will be released soon.

Until the official release is available through the usual channels you can download it as a beta from here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta#v544beta1

Note that it takes a while until the dongle shows the correct data after the firmware update.

6 comments
2 |3000

michael-cuddon avatar image michael-cuddon commented ·
Just run the 'test pilot' - does not roll back firmware on dongle (from what I can see its the same firmware v1.10 for the dongle so no firmware change). Further I see the comment made regard old firmware with the Multiplus - I have a new multiplus ie 2 months old with latest software 4.30?
0 Likes 0 ·
michael-cuddon avatar image michael-cuddon michael-cuddon commented ·
I have also sent you screen shots through test pilot.
0 Likes 0 ·
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ michael-cuddon commented ·

Hi, this beta is not available in TestFlight. Adding a new version to TestFlight takes a couple of days because Apple has first to review it. We expect to make an official release for all platforms later today.

Do you have access to a Mac or Android phone? In that case you can install the beta version but please note that if you connect with your iPhone running the current official release you'll be requested to update to v1.10 again.

0 Likes 0 ·
waffleking avatar image waffleking commented ·
I have a new MultiPlus purchased less than 2 months ago running firmware v4.30. Is this considered "relatively old firmware version" as stated in the release notes? How would one update this? I was under the impression that VictronConnect could update firmware for me.
0 Likes 0 ·
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ waffleking commented ·

There is no need to be on latest firmware with a MultiPlus or Quattro, firmware v430 is a perfectly valid version.

MultiPlus firmware can't be updated with a VE.Bus Smart Dongle, for that a MK3-USB interface is required and is advised to be performed by experienced professionals only.

But again, there is no need to keep MultiPlus firmware up-to-date if it is working properly. In this case the issue is in the VE.Bus Smart Dongle firmware and not in the MultiPlus.

Have you tried the beta version? Did the firmware revert fix the issue for you?

0 Likes 0 ·
waffleking avatar image waffleking jperez (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

VictronConnect v5.44beta1, which downgraded the VE.Bus Smart Dongle firmware from 1.10 to 1.09 resolved the issue for me.

0 Likes 0 ·
michael-cuddon avatar image
michael-cuddon answered ·

Same issue as above, issue only occurred after dongle firmware! Was working perfectly prior. I can still switch my multiplus, on, off, inverter & charger but no changes allowed to the current limit, however if you do a full reset, briefly 3-5 seconds you are able to make changes to the current limit but then you get the below screen. (Note I only have the 'dongle' & multiplus' connected.)pic-2.png

pic-2.png (154.1 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

michael-cuddon avatar image michael-cuddon commented ·

equipment & firmware details

pic-1.png

0 Likes 0 ·
pic-1.png (196.0 KiB)
orodri1 avatar image
orodri1 answered ·

My system is having the same issue after the update. I guess for next time I am stopping automatic updates.

1 comment
2 |3000