question

benny23 avatar image
benny23 asked

Lithium and IP65

Hey guys, new here. Relatively new to 12v setups all together.

Bought an IP65 15ah to charge my 25ah lithium and my 100 AGM.

Having an issue charging the lithium from flat, it automatically goes to absorption mode, I can’t get it to charge in bulk at all.
what settings do I need to change, if any, to achieve this?

thanks in advance

ip65
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
raphael avatar image
raphael answered ·

It looks like, the BMS of the Lithium Battery shuts of due to a too high charging current.
Somewhere on the 25Ah Lithium battery (or in its datasheet), you can find the maximum continuous charge current. I think that you exceed that with the 15A charger.

-> Download Victron Connect and connect to Bluetooth and reduce the charge current to 4A.
More information:
https://www.victronenergy.com/chargers/blue-smart-ip65-charger#pd-nav-video

1624342653242.png

1624342653242.png (171.0 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

benny23 avatar image benny23 commented ·
  1. Hi Thanks for the reply!

I have done as you suggest and it still automatically flicked to absorption.

The battery is showing low voltage when I hook it up to my fridge. Haven’t had a chance to hook it up to a multimeter but other digital devices I have are reading low also.
here are the battery specs, maybe you can shed some light on settings I mate need to change?

29de80cb-df80-4728-a973-12b1c7fad2e0.png

0 Likes 0 ·
raphael avatar image raphael benny23 commented ·

The BMS of your battery might be in a safety mode and doesn't take any charge. I wonder how you can get it back to running normally. You might want to try to contact the distributer or manufacture of the battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
benny23 avatar image benny23 raphael commented ·
So up until now, for some reason the charger wasn’t running a test cycle

somehow last night I managed to get it to do that and its obviously helped it recover from over discharge protection and I got full charge into the battery at 4A. Thanks for your help!

0 Likes 0 ·
raphael avatar image raphael benny23 commented ·
Perfect, thanks a lot for the feedback!

With 4A you have to wait around 6 hours...and with 15A you would be charged in 1.5 hours...so maybe you can try to charge with 15A, when it is not deeply discharged. The Cells can handle that easily...but most manufacture safe on the BMS and maybe it won't do it. But it might be worth a try.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic