question

richdobbs avatar image
richdobbs asked

Share PV between battery banks

I've got two panels in series that I want to use for 3 purposes: 1. Run my camping refrigerator (12v, 50 watts, 240 wh LiFPo batteries) 2. Charge my ebike battery (52v 556 wh Li-ion). 3) Run 120v power tools using an inverter (12v 504 wh SLA batteries). In another post Victron said running multiple MPPTs in parallel was not intended, nor tested, but didn't explain what the dangers or disadvantages of this was. What are they? If this can't be done, is it possible to programmatically turn off the PV input to Smartsolar MPPT 75/10 & 100/30 controllers.

MPPT Controllersbattery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

MPPT adjusts voltage/current to produce the maximum power. Connecting multiple MPPTs to the same solar array will cause the MPPTs to fight with each other. The likely result is far less power from the array as you might get from a single controller.

I recommend you look at DC-DC converters or charge your ebike from 120 volts.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual