question

adogbmw avatar image
adogbmw asked

What is the correlation between SOC and Voltage?

I have 2 - 225ah 6v golf cart batt in series. My SOC is 85% and voltage is 12.09 as seen in this screenshot. Looking at the typical charge chart for voltage my battery should only be slightly Over 50%! Is there something wrong here? What am i missing.Screenshot_20210615-060831.png

SOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Adogbmw

If they are lithium then voltage does not mean much. If lead acid then a bit better. But if the system is under load then the voltage means nothing as voltage drops with load.

working with a shunt or bmv is more accurate when the settings are good. In your case it is possible that they have not been getting to 100% or absorption each day for their type (moving through bulk absorption and float cycle)? Will need more info to work it out.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

adogbmw avatar image
adogbmw answered ·

Thank you. I am trying to understand how dc systems work as it does not come easy to me. I will put this on ac to charge up batteries for next couple days and take s look again at my numbers. These Readings have been like this after camping 2 weeks in almost full shade with only generator to charge up to 100% soc and voltage to 13.4. By next am I'd be at 79 %soc. And 11.93 volts and would recharge. My dc fridge takes a heavy toll. Your explanation therefore makes sense.

2 |3000

tony-c avatar image
tony-c answered ·

Is this guide any help?

1624012981422.png

1624012981422.png (281.3 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

David avatar image David commented ·
not sure where that chart data is from, but I would say it is nonsense
0 Likes 0 ·
offroadflow avatar image offroadflow commented ·
this chart is very off folks
0 Likes 0 ·
dixonge avatar image
dixonge answered ·

I've got 460ah available and am showing 67.5ah consumed. That's 86%. SOC currently shows 90%, so that's at least pretty close. Voltage (under light load) is, of course, 12.5v which is not particularly helpful.

But is SOC really correct? If I use half my amp-hours would SOC show 50%?

4 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
Hi @dixonge

If you set your Peukert Exponent to 1.00 then you'll get a closer match. But then the SOC won't be correct, unless you have 'perfect' batteries. And you don't..

What's an Amp-Hour contain in energy anyway? Varies with Voltage, and not many batts charge and discharge at the same V.

So you have to trust a little, understand, and get your settings tuned in. The Victron shunt based devices can be very accurate for SOC if set up correctly. They don't use direct V or Ah readings to do that though.

0 Likes 0 ·
dixonge avatar image dixonge JohnC ♦ commented ·
I have Peukert at 1.27, which is supposedly correct for these batteries (Duracell EGC2)
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ dixonge commented ·
@dixonge

And that's fine. But you must understand that Peukert is altering the SOC to compensate for the batt discharge rate. So the Ah won't be equivalent to SOC.

This is deliberate of course, a feature. Have trust.. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
dixonge avatar image dixonge JohnC ♦ commented ·
John - thanks for this. After 36 hours of no sun SOC is at 73%, Consumed Ah are 179.2. I now finally understand that the SOC calculation won't match Consumed Ah / capacity because I rarely draw the 20-hour test current of 23ah, normally more like 5-10ah. Today is starting off with full sun and I am warming up and so are the panels so all is good.
0 Likes 0 ·
dixonge avatar image
dixonge answered ·

I guess my big question (If I were to correctly phrase it) is - can I trust my SOC readout?
When I had only two batteries I would routinely hit 75%, sometimes lower. I was also attempting to power some things I shouldn't have, forgetting to switch things to gas, etc. Also clouds. Now that I have four batteries I rarely drop below 90% before the next day's sun hits the panels. So I guess the SOC is pretty accurate?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic