question

leaseonlife avatar image
leaseonlife asked

BlueSolar MPPT with SmartDongle does not connect to bluetooth after each night.

On a sailboat, all my charge sources come thru an Victron ArgoFet Battery Isolator. That causes the solar controllers to not have any power at night. Once the sun comes up, the SmartSolar MPPTs do reconnect to a bluetooth network and get battery voltage as well as temp.

I have a SmartSense as well as a BMV-712-smart I can connect the solar controllers via bluetooth to. I keep the SmartSolar controllers on a separate bluetooth network, separate from the BlueSolar controllers.

The BlueSolar controllers with the SmartDongles will not, by themselves, reconnect after each night. I have to connect to each BlueSolar MPPT via the app (bluetooth connection), then the BlueSolar controllers 'wake up' and start showing a bluetooth network connection after a couple seconds.

Bug?

MPPT ControllersVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @LeaseOnLife

Have you tried waiting until the MPPT is charging the battery before connecting? it should connect when charging.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

leaseonlife avatar image leaseonlife commented ·

I did try that...

They (the 2 BlueSolar MPPTs) do not, at any time during the day connect back to bluetooth/SmartSense by themselves. I found out, because they went into absorption way too early (because they used the internal Voltage then).

Once I connect with the Victron App, it takes a few minutes, then they go back to bulk.

0 Likes 0 ·
mkuiken avatar image
mkuiken answered ·

Hi @LeaseOnLife,

Recently an issue has been identified in which the v/t sense communication might stop incidentally and could be recovered by for example connecting with a phone. We have not seen it actually happen though. Until now as it appears. Your description fits 100% so my bet is that you've run into this issue.

The issue will be fixed in the next firmware version for the Bluetooth Smart dongle. Unfortunately I can't give you a date yet on when that version will be released.

1 comment
2 |3000

leaseonlife avatar image leaseonlife commented ·
Since I am able to reproduce this every day/night: If I can help beta testing, please let me know.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic