question

Deutch avatar image
Deutch asked

Rule for Combining AC and DC coupling in off grid system

Hello @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) and @Alexandra,

I would like to know how much DC coupling to apply in an AC off grid system for a well balanced system.

Does the amount of power to be installed on the DC side in an off-grid AC system depend on the capacity of the batteries? If so, what should be the power on the DC side, to avoid the batteries being flat? If there is a generator, is it necessary to add a DC coupling, or would it be interesting to start the generator automatically in case of low batteries?

Thank you

AC PV Coupling
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Deutch avatar image Deutch commented ·

Thank you for your interesting feedback @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ,

Your support has been very helpful to me

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

Hi @Deutch

The training mentioned by Guy is most useful.

For the DC coupling question. In the training a black start is mentioned as the reason for the DC coupling on the AC off grid system. It is good practice.

Each system design is usually user based so a few considerations. So how big the battery bank ratio is to the DC solar will determine how fast the system will self recover from the black start especially if there is no one on the site to deal with things.

Yes program the generator and that is interesting. Just remember things don't always go according to plan. With a geneator somone may forget to fuel it, or the start battery is flat, or somone left it in manual start (on the generator) and the system cannot start it when it needs to.

Sizing the array to prevent a fully depleted bank is a tall order, usually the users of the system need to manage to some degree their loads and expectations of the AC PV side. So make sure you get them involved and aware of the system limitations, such as night time loads verses battery bank size and bad solar day use age as well.

1 comment
2 |3000

Deutch avatar image Deutch commented ·

Hello @Alexandra ,

Thank you very much for quick and intersting feedback.

What you just mentioned is very important, I often tend not to involve the users and sometimes there are small problems that arise. I have for example a customer who called because his generator was starting up two to four times a day, and he wanted to save fuel because it was starting to put a strain on his budget.The thing I didn't explain to the users was that they had a 5000VA Multiplus, that they couldn't go over the 4000W bare, and that if that happened, the generator would automatically start.

Then the users took advantage and even plugged in the stove, the air conditioners, left the light on, and the generator started automatically because sometimes they went up to 6500W of consumption, so I understood the importance of training the users on how the system works

Thank again .

0 Likes 0 ·