question

jdvt avatar image
jdvt asked

Strange sound while charging new gel battery, is this normal?

I just installed a 330ah battery bank with three parallel 110ah 12V gel battery's. While charging, one of these battery's makes a strange sound. Like it is bubbling. When I noticed, the charger was at absorption stage at 14.3V and 6amps. Does this mean the battery is broken (or will get soon...)?

battery chargingCyrix Battery Combiner
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

One would think that you might not have fully charged each battery before you had paralleled them.?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
tozz avatar image
tozz answered ·

A gurgling or bubbling gel battery is a sign of overcharging. What does the datasheet from your battery say about charging voltages and currents?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jdvt avatar image
jdvt answered ·

@klim8skeptic I did not charge the batteries seperately before use. Never heard or read something about this... Though I wouldn't expect this to be nessesary cause they are all from the same production series? If this is the problem, they should equal themselves over time, I guess? Now, after a week, the sound is a lot less, but not completely gone. So, this might be something...

@Tozz That's where I'am afraid for too. I do use two smart Mastervolt chargers, 25 amps each. They stay within the limits of max 14,4V for absorbtion and 13,8V for float charge. So, this must be fine...

At this point we have some suspects, thanks for that! Maybe someone have similar experiences?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Product page Cyrix Battery Combiner

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic