question

Eran Rundstein avatar image
Eran Rundstein asked

Cerbo GX Factory Reset

Hello!

How do I reset my Cerbo GX to factory settings/firmware?

I am considering playing with it over SSH but want to know I have a way to revert whatever mess I might create.

Thanks!

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Eran, just now I added an answer to your question to the root access document, here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:root_access.

see the warning section. Thats what I expanded.

UPDATE 2023: see also here https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/204255/cerbo-gx-bricked-how-to-recover.html

10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Eran Rundstein avatar image Eran Rundstein commented ·

Fantastic, thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

An added note: the factory reset procedure does not reinstall the operating system so if you are suffering from a "white screen" on the GUI or other not-functional parts of the system due to operating files being changed/corrupted, resetting the /data partition will NOT recover the system.

In addition, performing the factory reset will most likely remove ssh access so you will no longer be able to access the command line remotely.

A better approach to recovering a non-functional system (assuming you can get ssh access) is to force a firmware update.

For on-line updates:

/opt/victronenergy/swupdate-scripts/check-swupdate.sh -force -update

For updates from removable media:

/opt/victronenergy/swupdate-scripts/check-swupdate.sh -force -update -offline
0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas Kevin Windrem commented ·
@Kevin Windrem will the update from removable media work from the onboard serial connection if there is no access to ssh?
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem derrick thomas commented ·
yes
0 Likes 0 ·
P.H.J. Sibbing avatar image P.H.J. Sibbing Kevin Windrem commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem P.H.J. Sibbing commented ·
If the GX device is bricked beyond the ability to get a prompt on the serial terminal, nothing can be done except to replace it.

Of course if it's a Raspberry PI, you can refresh the system SD card.
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Kevin Windrem commented ·

Hi, update!, it is possible to reinstall the operating system as well as the bootloader.

I’m finishing up documentation for that. Meanwhile, see here for the preliminary version:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/204255/cerbo-gx-bricked-how-to-recover.html

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Ps. except for not making the connection right, the only way I can think of where there is nothing on the serial cable is a hardware defect.

Impossible to “achieve” by doing things on or to the rootfs or any other software.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
@mvader (Victron Energy) The link doesn't work
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Kevin Windrem commented ·
Foxed, thank you
0 Likes 0 ·
Jmarc avatar image
Jmarc answered ·

Hi,

This document point to what looks like an outdated Link. Specifically I am looking for instructions on How to do a Factory reset of the Cerbo GX.
The document listed here suggest that there will be a later addition to manual and offers a Link to github. the GitHub link appear to be a dead link.

2 |3000

Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

For a factory reset of the Cerbo GX please see the Reset to factory defaults procedure in the manual.

2 comments
2 |3000

mykroft77 avatar image mykroft77 commented ·
This link no longer works. Is there a better place to get the factory reset information?
0 Likes 0 ·
P.H.J. Sibbing avatar image P.H.J. Sibbing commented ·
Link Is dead
0 Likes 0 ·
Jmarc avatar image
Jmarc answered ·

Hi Stefanie,

Thanks for the tip. But not sure at this point I can change the Username.

Both CCGX and CerboGx documention point to a file with the exact same name. Are they effectivley the same or should we keep them in separate folders?

1 comment
2 |3000

Yes, they are effectively the same file as Venus OS is the same on all GX devices.

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Hey @Kevin Windrem I have serial console access to the old bricked cerbo. When I reboot I can see a lot of activity going on loading things so something is happening, but unfortunately I have discovered that the /opt directory is empty. Is this recoverable or is it hosed?

3 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

It's pretty well bricked. /opt is where all the Victron code is located including the firmware update shell scripts.

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas Kevin Windrem commented ·
I really don't know Linux very well but would it be possible to copy the /opt directory from a working cerbo onto the bricked one through the console? I'm assuming that the file structures and read/write permissions would be an issue?

I originally decided on the cerbo because of the plug and play simplicity of all the components. If I'd known what I know now I might have decided to go with the raspi

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas derrick thomas commented ·
Well I just answered my own question. I copied the scripts from a working system, set file permissions, and ran the script to boot from the other image. Cerbo is back. I surprised myself.
0 Likes 0 ·