question

robert-welling avatar image
robert-welling asked

Sharing my setup details for others to learn (JAG35 18650 + Victron gear)

Hi Folks,

A community is as good as the information shared by it's contributors so let me share my working setup for other to learns (and happy to further detail if not enough)

My setup consists of 2 banks of Jag35 (the famous youtuber) 10 times 7s 18650 cells with a Daily Li-ion 7s/24v Charge 30a / Discharge 60a BMS. (each bank has it's own BMS).

A Victron 100/30 MPPT smart solar charger (USB hooked to the Raspberry)

A Victron 24v battery protect

A Victron Raspberry PI (VRM Portal) monitor

A Victron SmartShunt (USB hooked to the Raspberry)

A Victron 24v-48v DC-DC juices a cheap Chinese Grid-TIE interverter

All wired accoording to the Victron Wired bible.

A set of 6 Solar 105w 4A panels in parallel. (Amp is King)

The weird thing about my setup, I'm hybrid.. I feed this to a cheap Chinese Grid-Tie inverter to my own home and as such consume all of it w/o returning it the bigger grid. (why doesn't Victron deliver a standalone grid-tie????) The BP protects the drain and returns to charge when needed.

This setup requires more tuning but it's working and it's a nice (home grown) hybrid kit.

Happy to share more details on the Lithium parameters but they are pretty standard.

setup-vic.jpg

(I'm LoRan nerd as well, hence the antennas)

solar-vic.jpg

AC PV Coupling
setup-vic.jpg (1.9 MiB)
solar-vic.jpg (3.8 MiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Antenna's shade solar panel :(.

0 Likes 0 ·
gro avatar image gro commented ·

What is the Victron Wired Bible and where can you get it? Or have I taken the bait?

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ gro commented ·

Search "wiring unlimited".

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

As far as I know Victron at one point did make a Grid Tie unit, but from what I am lead to believe is that they went away from this and concentrated on the DC to AC side of things.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Yes, the "BlueSolar Grid Inverter", we have one in our workshop for the server UPS system.

I think it was sold around 2011-2013.

0 Likes 0 ·
Vance Mitchell avatar image
Vance Mitchell answered ·

Victron multiplus and Quattro can both be connected to the grid with the ability to feed.

The multiplus II has the option of an external current sensor to allow it to only supply your local loads if required rather than actually feeding back into the grid.

The only difference is that the Victron units require a battery of some sort to smooth out the dc side.

I would expect a standard grid tie inverter would use an internal capacitor bank to achieve the same thing.

I can’t see why a 24v multiplus II wouldn’t work instead of your 24-48 converter and grid inverter.

It would also link to you Pi and give you full control of your system through the VRM.

Out of curiosity, can you explain why you say ‘Amp is king’? Apart from the shading from your antenna, I would have thought that series connect would work better with those panels. If they are 105W and 4A you don’t have much headroom in regard to voltage.

2 |3000