question

gyrovague avatar image
gyrovague asked

Will installing venus large on VenusGX maintain all existing configuration and assistants etc.?

Apologies if this has been answered, but I have not seen this addressed explicitly. If I were to install the venus large firmware (from USB) for VenusGX (i.e. following instructions in https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:large ), would my device continue to function 100% the same after installation? In other words, will all configuration and assistants and provisioning etc. etc. remain intact? I'm assuming they would, since I've seen no warnings about having to back up anything or whatever, but just want to make 100% sure about this.

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

If you can update via .swu or the on-line update menu, then yes, all your configurations and settings would be retained. There are .swu files for RPI 2 and 4, Einstein, NanoPi and Beaglebone platforms for v2.70~5 so you should be able to upgrade most all Venus devices this way and retain your settings.

Copy there appropriate .swu file to a USB stick, plug it into the Venus device and an upgrade message should appear. If not reboot.

/data is wiped if you flash a new SD card for RPIs so I'd avoid this. You can use gparted to move the /data partition from an existing flash card to a new one if you have to go this way: run the new image for about 10 minutes, then shut down and place both the old and new SD cards in a Linux machine (or other running gparted). Open the old SD card, select the last partition, copy it. Switch to the new SD card, select the last partition, paste. Commit changes, eject both SD cards. Put the new card in the PI and you should see all your previous settings.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic