question

jerothle avatar image
jerothle asked

Anderson Power connector 4/0-large current

Has anyone used Anderson Power connectors to connect battery packs to a bus bar?

3/0 or 4/0 gauge wire.

I would like to be able to remove a battery without having to unscrew lugs.

Thank you, Jeffanderson-connectors.jpgThe larger "350".

battery connection
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Keep in mind that if an inverter is involved in the system there is likely to be a huge spark when connecting the battery. The spark comes from capacitors inside the inverter across the DC input and can be large enough to damage lugs/posts, DC disconnect switches and possibly the BMS.

A precharge circuit is generally used, but I don't see a way to precharge the capacitors when using a connector.

Also, check the connector specs for wire gauge limits and that the current spec is more than your average loads.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jerothle avatar image jerothle commented ·

Thanks Kevin, I like it.

That is something to consider.

0 Likes 0 ·
jw1971 avatar image
jw1971 answered ·

If you have a ESO downstream of the connector..... Turn it off before connecting the pack. This prevents the arc on plugin.

Then wire up a pre-charge of your choice (I like the 3 position switch setup) and use that to pre-charge before switching to on.

For a connection that can handle a few hundred amps always a good idea to have an ESO so the plug/unplug is done with loads disconnected. It will keep your underwear fresh ;)

1 comment
2 |3000

dannyclark avatar image dannyclark commented ·
I was also considering adding Anderson Connectors and a bus bar. I searched a while but couldn’t figure out what an ESO is. I’m also curious about the “pre charge” setup details. Thanks for any time you can share elaborating.

-Pete

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic