question

carcarlo avatar image
carcarlo asked

Electrical cable size for Orion Tr 24/48 280W 6A

Hello everybody,

I have just purchased a Victron Energy DC-DC voltage converter, model Orion-Tr 24/48 280W 6A In. 16-35V, to power a video surveillance system on board my boat composed in total of 2 PoE switches and no. 8 IPCAMs.

The PoE switches (2x Teltonika TSW100) consume, at maximum load, 129 W each, at an input voltage of 44-57 VDC.

IP CAMs are instead rated 1-2A @ 12vdc.

Having already made all the wiring from the switches to the cameras (including PoE splitter 48-> 12vdc), I only have to power the Orion Tr, with a 24v power line coming from an available circuit breaker on the electrical panel.

Considering that to cover the distance between the Orion Tr and the circuit breaker I need an electrical cable with a length of approximately 15 meters, I would like to know which section of cable you recommend to use for the maximum load.

Thanks in advance to those who will be able to help me,

Carlo

Orion DC-DC Converters not smartwiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
adb avatar image
adb answered ·

Generally, you don't want to size the wiring for the maximum (normal) load current, but for the circuit breaker rating. Because if a short-circuit occurs, you want the circuit breaker to trip, and not your wiring to melt or burn.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

carcarlo avatar image carcarlo commented ·

Hi adb, thank you for your answer.

The circuit breaker installed by the manufacturer is a Carlingtech model AA1-B0-34-650-5D2-C.

It is rated for 50A. It is impossible to run a 10-15 meter cable for 50A @ 24vdc, it should be something like 50mm2.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic