question

ripper avatar image
ripper asked

Orion DC DC converter in series for higher voltage?

I'd like to charge the 17S Lipo of my electric scooter off my 24V solar system. So I would need 71V and I understand DC DC units can be stacked in principle.

If I put two Orions with galvanic isolation 24/48 and a 24/24 in series and adjust accordingly, does that work and am I operating it safely. There is a 200V DC galvanic something limit of which I am far away?

Due to the high current demand will they not shut off instantly and will they work at their rated limit no troubles? 110W is pretty much perfect for an opportunity load.

The opportunity load would be switched via the remote ins. Is there a problem if there is 71V sitting there from the wrong direction while off, or when there is a slight delay between the two units waking up at slightly different times?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

This can work, but you have to make provisions to prevent circumstances where one of the units gets the total voltage over it (possible at overload, short circuit, etc.
Also I think it's advisable that one of the units has a (slightly) higher output current to prevent 'fighting' what unit delivers most of the voltage.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic