question

cleaver avatar image
cleaver asked

Is there an option to extend the "assist" while using an inverter generator?

I have a 12v 3000 multi in a RV. Cerbo is monitoring the system. I've checked everything. The power assist works fine with everything I load the system with. Except the microwave, assist doesn't even try to kick in. The whole load is diverted to the generator and it will overload it.

If i run the A/C and partially load the generator it has no trouble picking up the microwave. So I know the generator will handle the loads.

I want to know is there a way to have the inverter to load the generator slower.

Or is it the microware that is causing the issue. I can run space heaters the air conditioning and the assisting is showing on display for a few seconds while generator spools up. But the multi doesn't even try with microwave starting by itself.

Anyone have any ideas?

powerassist
7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

What is your AC input limit set to?

0 Likes 0 ·
cleaver avatar image cleaver klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

I have set it anywhere from 13A up to generator max at 24.5A. it is the microwave that is causing the power issue. but if I load the generator to 1000-1300w prior to turning on microwave. Or just use the multi alone to run microwave. Then there is no issue.

It almost looks like the multi just passes on the microwave load completely. Without trying to assist.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ cleaver commented ·

We had this topic some days ago. The microwave will have a bad power factor and the MultiPlus can't handle that correctly.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/86435/multiplus-5k-ignores-input-current-limit-with-powe.html

0 Likes 0 ·
cleaver avatar image cleaver Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Thank You, I was suspecting something was wrong with micro. But didn't know what to call the issue..

0 Likes 0 ·
cleaver avatar image cleaver cleaver commented ·

I just tried using the microwave. Starting it on multi and manually starting the generator. There is a 2 minute delay for EMS to check power before a contactor closes. Then the multi slowly applies load to generator. And works as it is supposed to. So now I'm going to go in search for a way to either repair the issue or replace the micro.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

have you got the generator set to eco mode by chance try turning eco mode off

0 Likes 0 ·
cleaver avatar image cleaver Paul B commented ·

yes eco mode was first engaged. I tried both on/off. However it made no difference in the gen overloading. Once I have approx. 1000w load the rpm was high enough for gen to pick up the extra and not overload.

I agree with Matthias, and the inverter can't match the bad power, so it dumps it to generator all at once. I'm not a electrical engineer, so not a full understanding. I only have 1 year electrician and 20 years as a Truck Transport mechanic. I understand some of the technical limitations but not all.

This is a new generator and larger than my firman I had previously. |The firman had no issues with microwave. But ran at full throttle when a/c was running. This new Cummins inverter doesn't like the microwave.

I'm not researching either a new microwave or how to smooth out its power factor. Which I am no thinking is possible.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic