question

adombek avatar image
adombek asked

Suitability of 2 x multiplus 3kVA in split phase configuration to run 1 HP pump

I've asked this question through a dealer channel but no response from Victron for over a week so hoping I can get an answer here.

I have a 115/230V 1600w jet pump in an off-grid application. I'm considering using two Multiplus 3kVA units in a split phase configuration to run the pump at 230V.

The concern is whether the Multiplus system can handle the inrush current of the pump.

The pump starts and runs fine with my 5kW 240V generator, and using a clamp meter I measure 34.5A of inrush. That's 8280W of surge.

According to the Multiplus specs, a 3kVA unit can handle 6000W of surge. With two units in a split phase configuration that provides 12000W of surge.

It appears there is suitable headroom to do this but I'd like some assurance before moving forward.

Is my math correct? The other unknown is how long of a surge the Multiplus unit can handle.

And if it does handle it, will a warning be generated every time the pump starts?

Thanks for any advice!

Multiplus-IIsplit phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers