question

max-herron avatar image
max-herron asked

I'm trying to use an long Ethernet cable to my easy solar all in one, how do I do that

at the back of the color control there is a port labeled Ethernet but there is no way to get a cable to the CC as the slot between mppt area and inverter area is blocked by battery connections. I could bore a hole in case. I'm reluctant to do that of which one reason is will connecting to the cc to router give me what I'm looking for. JohnC was involve in an earlyer question on connecting to controller

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Yes this will give you VRM access which is what I presume you are looking for

you connect the ethernet port on the CCGX to th router via a Ethernet cable, RJ45 connectors on each end.

DO not connect to the VE-BUS or the CAN-Bus ports

you could also try a wifi CONNECTION from you CCGX to the router. this would require a USB wifi dongle to be inserted into the USB port

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Max Herron

Yeh, I'm still 'involved'. My addiction.. :)

I think you have an Easy 5000. The cable(s) will fit, but it's a bit tight just below the CCGX top panel. From memory, I used the right hand side and tied them in with small cable ties so they wouldn't get dislodged and maybe crushed when you replace the top front panel. The top panel and CCGX hang from all the connecting wires, so be careful refixing it and ensure all the wires are plugged in and unstressed as you replace that panel.

You could also run a usb cable over the same route. I have one which I arranged to hang just level with the lower edge of the Easy, and slipped a Victron wifi nano into it to avoid casing interference. Both work well, and give me some redundancy.

Don't fear that big box. Mine has become my best pal..

2 |3000

max-herron avatar image
max-herron answered ·

Thanks John and Paul B. although the Easy 5000 is perporming flawlessly in its main areas solar charging and inverting, because of where it is and where we live the only communication i have with it is by phone via bluetooth it gives me wonderfull history graphs and allowed me to control solar parameters but nothing else. I hope that by doing these things ethernet and wifi cables with wifi dongle i will get to Generator controll. JohnC there are several USB ports one labeled USB Host with an other closely adjoining does it matter which one. The Ethernet port I presume to use is right along side labeled Ethernet. Thanks again guys. I hope to be able to post here if that is possible a good news story just a easily I could be back with a call for further help

2 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@Max Herron

Just use either of the 2 USB Host ports. There's another labelled "USB Device" but that's still listed as Unused.

We love good news stories..

0 Likes 0 ·
max-herron avatar image max-herron JohnC ♦ commented ·

The story is definitely getting better have long Ethernet cable into house AND have had communication to ccgx with cable plugged into PC that is a big step for me been waiting for bits for weeks got them all!! was running the cable across keeping it up high away from traffic nearly at the house cable end was on the ground while i did something up a ladder and the pup chewed through the cable near the end bugger. I have done a soldered joint which so far works. Haven't been able to drill down into where I can control input/voltage of Generator circuit. or have communication with ccgx via local network. i will try to get further before enlisting help. The Wifi is still work to do have Vic tron dongle Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·