question

loosenup avatar image
loosenup asked

How to set up MPPT correctly.

I’m new to solar, but my RV has panels and a large AGM battery bank (~1400 ah). I’ve noticed that when my Victron MPPT charge controller is on, the victron reads a battery charge of ~13.34 volts. When I turn off the charger, the victron measures the batteries at 12.88v. My coach’s electrical panel shows a voltage of 12.8v whether the charger is on or not.

When I charge my batteries off of 50a shore power, they charge to ~13.2 volts.

should my batteries be charging to north of 13v from the solar panels / charger?

Should I adjust some settings on thr MPPT controller?

6e110a0e-7bc3-4886-888c-d3619d779e78.png

b3821248-537e-41fa-8596-2762ae85954c.png

image.jpg

MPPT SmartSolarmppt charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

A charging source may read slightly higher than the battery itself due to voltage drop in the wires between them. However, you are reporting over a 0.5 volts of drop at under 4 amps. That's a bit over 1/10 of an ohm.

Check the wiring between the MPPT output and the battery for a wire size that's too small, very long or other reasons there might be that much resistance.

Keep the wire length between the MPPT and battery to a minimum.

If all else fails, install a battery monitor. The MPPT will then use that voltage rather than it's output voltage for controlling the charging profile.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes