question

Brandon avatar image
Brandon asked

Do batteries take any load at all when mains plugs in?

I have 2 Pylontech batteries that are wired to a SmartSolar MPPT and a Multiplus II.

It's my understanding that with the Multiplus II, when there is no mains connected (no AC in) the required current the inverter needs to run the AC loads comes from the batteries. Then when there mains are plugged in, the current for the AC loads comes straight from mains through the Multiplus II. So no load is put on batteries or MPPT while mains are plugged in. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

Multiplus-IIMPPT SmartSolar
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi

Correct. if the batteries are full the the MPPT will supply the load, power share.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
jacobjned avatar image jacobjned commented ·

From my understanding it also depends on what the AC input current the limit has been set and/or if there are sudden high start up loads, and if the mains is slow to supply those surges immediately, Battery energy would be consumed briefly via 'Power Assist'. So it depends on your settings and size of for connected loads.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Brandon

They can, it does all depend on your programing and setup and settings.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

You did not mention having a Cerbo or other GX device. I am assuming you have one and ESS is configured.

In that case, what you have described is ESS configured to "Keep Batteries Charged".

There are other options eg. using Optimised with BatteryLife which will use solar power and some battery power (set by lowering Minimum SoC) to minimise the grid input.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.