question

djrmml avatar image
djrmml asked

Measure DC Power with Smart Shunt

Can i configure the Smart Shunt in Cerbo to only/accurately measure the DC loads of my system?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
rslifkin avatar image
rslifkin answered ·

If you turn on the "Has DC System" option it should show the calculated DC power usage. This value is based on the power flowing in / out of the batteries via the shunt combined with whatever other power sources and draws it knows of (such as charging or consumption by a Multiplus, power from MPPTs, etc.). It's not perfectly accurate all the time, but it's at least pretty darn close.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

djrmml avatar image
djrmml answered ·

So you can't assign a shunt to "has DC System"?

2 |3000

Christian Richter avatar image
Christian Richter answered ·

I have a similar question. I can only configure "Has DC System" but can't choose if the calculation is done only based on the Smart-Shunt or also on the Phoenix Inverter (12/250) which I also have.

Problem is: the Phoenix Inverter has a broken DC and AC measurement. When I disconnect the Phonex VE.Direct Cable, the Smart Shunt is used only and the DC Power measurement make sense (tested with AC Power Meter and DC Power meters).

But when I connect the VE.Direct Cable, the DC Power is wrong, not speaking of the AC Power, which seems to be wrong anyways.

One example:

My fridge draws .5 W when it idles, which is nearly the 0 Load for the inverter. It draws about 10W from DC in this case, but in Venus I see 40W and in VRM as well. When the fridge draws its 35W AC, the inverter draws around 50W DC and it is displayed correctly in Venus and VRM, but the AC load is 0 all the time and only seldom 23W (which was pointed out in several other comments).

So If not via the GUI, then which script do I need to modify in order to not use the Phoenix' Power Data but only the Smart Shunt data, which is much more accurate?

1 comment
2 |3000

Christian Richter avatar image Christian Richter commented ·

I need to add one more thing. I used to have a 12/500 Phoenix before which showed the correct DC Power usage in Venus and VRM, only the AC measurements where not very accurate, but this seems normal.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Not sure about the Phoenix, but with Multis, Venus (Cerbo, etc.) provides an option to select the shunt or the inverter's internal measurements. The selection is in Settings / System Setup /Battery monitor. The default is Automatic which should select the shunt if present. But you can force it to use the shunt or inverter if you want.

2 |3000