question

peter12381 avatar image
peter12381 asked

How do I configure an Easysolar-II GX?

I have just bought an Easysolar-II GX and before I install it I want to make sure I have all the necessary accessories. I've looked through the manual and online, but am uncertain as to how I am supposed to configure settings like the charging parameters for the Pylontech batteries, or the start switch for generator backup. Do I run VE Configure on my PC and need to buy a USB to RS232 converter? Or perhaps I can do the configuration via wifi or Bluetooth without any accessories?

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
tozz avatar image
tozz answered ·

The EasySolar-II GX are actually 2 devices in one. It's a EasySolar-II and a VenusOS device (eg. CerboGX/CCGX). If you have configured the GX device to have Internet access (using Bluetooth), you can use remote VE.Configure on VRM (vrm.victronenergy.com).

You don't need the MK3-USB device if you have Internet access

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

taylortops avatar image
taylortops answered ·

The EasySolar-II GX is comprised of 3 x devices:

• Multiplus II
  • MPPT 250/70 (with Bluetooth)
  • GX Device (Venus with better specs - quad core)

The Multiplus II possibly can be accessed using the MK3 adaptor, but it's connected to the GX Device via VE Bus (MK3) already as the primary method of communication.

The MPPT has bluetooth onboard, so you can access this directly, and it's also connected to the GX Device via VE Direct.

Everything can be managed as a system by VRM, via the GX Device. The GX Device has VE Direct, though as host it's not powered (eg BT Dongle won't light up), and you can't connect via USB, as this is also host.

Ethernet is your primary method of connection, either via UTP 'blue' cable or WiFi, and managed via Victron Connect App or VRM. Ethernet cable is your shortest path to success. Your VRM ID will be attached to the box and/or inside your EasySolar II packaging.

You can also utilise the WiFi Access Point function described here but it's unreliable: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Venus_GX/en/accessing-the-gx-device.html Your WiFi Key will be attached to the box and/or inside your EasySolar II packaging.

Hope that helps, Peter. Feel free to message me.

Notes:

- The "VE Can" on the GX is labelled incorrectly, this is actually BMS Can, and is only used for managed battery comms.

- The only Bluetooth in the system is the MPPT. The MPPT and BT remain active even with the main unit switch in position 0 = off e.g. just battery connected.

- The VE Direct port on the MPPT itself is powered but the VE Direct port at the GX panel is not.

- WiFi is not strong due to Faraday cage effect, you may need proximity.

- USB (host) is for GX firmware update and USB->VE-Direct adaptors.

- While the GX has CPU power for 24 x VE Direct channels, only one connector is provided. The rest would come in via USB

1 comment
2 |3000

stephenv avatar image stephenv commented ·
Thank you for your detailed response,

One of our customers has a GlobalLink 520, is there any way to connect it to the EasySolar?
The customers site is remote and they have no modem/internet on site,
We'd appreciate your assistance on the best way to get this customers online through the VRM

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
peter12381 avatar image
peter12381 answered ·

Thanks so much for both of your responses. They started me on the right track. I've set up the system and so far it seems to be working well. It's a bit amazing to me that Victron doesn't explain any of this in the documentation that comes with the product. It doesn't even say that VRM stands for Victron Remote Management and that's how you configure your devices!

For the benefit of anyone who like me might be setting up for the first time the Easysolar II with two Pylontech US3000 Li-ion batteries, here is a rough description of what I did (no guarantees I got it all right though!):

My gear is in a shipping container a little way from the house and the router, so I bought a cheap TP-Link wifi extender with an ethernet port, stuck it in a window and connected to the ethernet port in the bottom of the Easysolar. Then I remotely connected my PC to the Easysolar via VRM following these instructions:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:getting_started

Within the Easysolar Installation in VRM there is a Remote Console, which seems to be a virtual copy of a screen with buttons that you might find on the outside of a device cabinet. It was very slow to respond but I was able to painstakingly click my way through the menus and enable two way communication between my PC and the Easysolar:

Remote Console>VRM>Settings>VRM online portal>VRM two way communication>on

This is needed this for remote VE Configure – see below.

There is some online info on using Pylontech batteries with Victron:

victron_pylontech_up2500_us2000_us3000_us2000c_us3000c_up5000_phantom-s_force-l1_l2.pdf

It says to enable DVCC:

Remote Console>VRM>Settings>DVCC>on

This then opens more options. I turned off Shared Voltage Sense and Shared Temperature Sense.

I configured other settings using a remote version of VE Configure which I downloaded and installed on my PC:

https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software

There are instructions and a helpful video at:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:remote-veconfigure

In VE Configure I made the following suggested but not essential settings (see above Victron-Pylontech PDF):

• Battery capacity 148 Ah (=3552 Wh x 2 /48V)

• Charger tab: Battery type – Lithium, Charge curve – Fixed, Absorption voltage - 52.0 V, Float voltage - 51.0 V, Absorption time -1 Hr

• Inverter tab: DC input low shut-down 44V, DC input low restart 48V

I closed VE Config and it seemingly updated the .rsvc configuration file. I then uploaded it via the Remote VEConfigure screen for my installation in VRM. It said restart required and sure enough power went off for a minute or so.

Configuring the auto start/stop for my backup generator:

I have a Honda EU30iS generator with a two-wire remote start (wires connected = on). I wired it to the Com and NO contacts.

Initially I found this info, but it wasn’t helpful:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/CCGX/en/gx---generator-auto-start-stop.html

However this was:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:virtual-switch-generator-start-stop

I played with a few settings under the Generator Control tab in VE Configure and could get the generator to switch on when the AC load is high, and when the State of Charge percentage is low, so it seems to be working. Hallelujah! But all in all quite a bit of work to complete what I initially thought would be a quick and simple task.

2 |3000

taylortops avatar image
taylortops answered ·

Also, a word of caution, the AC Charger (in the Multiplus, not the MPPT charger) is NOT factory configured for Lithium. You would need to mod your settings via VE Configure. You can do this via VRM well. VE Configure needs a MS windows machine.

2 |3000