question

chuckthemech avatar image
chuckthemech asked

Multiplus 12/2000 van install, ground relay connects neutral/ground causing paneltronics circuit breaker to trip.

This is a new vehicle install. I have two lithium 148 Wh/I batteries running the MP12/2000. The AC output is thru a Paneltronics model 9972313 circuit breaker. When the inverter is turned on, relay H is activated. This causes the Paneltronics to trip, indicating incorrect connections.

I have checked my wiring multiple times, pulled the inverter, and ran the inverter off of house power, but relay H causes the Paneltronics to trip. I removed the Paneltronics and wired it to house power with no tripped lights.

Do I disable relay H? Why is relay H activating? Remove the Paneltronics from the system?

I’m at a loss as to what to do or check next.

Thanks for any help.

wiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Do you have a diagram of how you have currently wired things?

The ground relay creates your N-E reference bond so that you have a Line (Hot), Neutral and Earth (Ground) system. Without this relay creating the bond, then you have a floating system.

It's not clear if that particular panel breaker is and RCD (GFCI) type, so the fault that it is detecting is more likely to be an overload condition rather than an earth fault.

What does you electrician have to say about this issue?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

chuckthemech avatar image
chuckthemech answered ·

I do not have a diagram of the system. The MP 12/2000 AC output runs from the MP 12/2000 to a circuit breaker then straight to the Paneltronics. From the Paneltronics I have one GFCI outlet currently. As far as overload on it, nothing is plugged in. Would the GFCI cause this?

I assume that the floating system is not what I want. The above circuit breaker does not trip but the main breaker in the Paneltronics does.

Wkerby, thanks for the help.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic