question

drumond avatar image
drumond asked

phoenix 12/375 inverter and charger ip22 30A in a van - grounding

Hello,

I live in France.

In my van, I have three solar panels (330W each), a Victron 200Ah Lifepo4, a Victron MPPT 150/100.

I have been relying only in solar to charge the Lifepo4. But I have never known a real winter.

This week, I am considering how to install my Phoenix inverter 12/375 and a Victron IP22 charger 30A.

Do I need to ground the inverter to the van chassis or to the minus of the Lifepo4? Actually, do I really need to ground the inverter as it will remain inside the van?

Regarding the Victron IP22 charger, this afternoon I have mounted a male CEE17 plug under the chassis of the vehicle and passed a cable from it inside the van. I will only connect the IP22 charger to this cable. Do I need to install a 30mA residual current device or breaker with overcurrent protection or another protective device for the IP22? Do I need to ground the vehicle chassis to the earth each time I want to use the IP22 charger?

Thank you.

wiringGrounding
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @drumond

Yes you will have to ground your bus to the inverter, to have rcd's in the bus work properly.

for your charger: rcd should be in the shore-supply, connect your input ground wire to the bus chassis to have rcd on shore supply work properly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic