question

drumond avatar image
drumond asked

phoenix 12/375 inverter and charger ip22 30A in a van - grounding

Hello,

I live in France.

In my van, I have three solar panels (330W each), a Victron 200Ah Lifepo4, a Victron MPPT 150/100.

I have been relying only in solar to charge the Lifepo4. But I have never known a real winter.

This week, I am considering how to install my Phoenix inverter 12/375 and a Victron IP22 charger 30A.

Do I need to ground the inverter to the van chassis or to the minus of the Lifepo4? Actually, do I really need to ground the inverter as it will remain inside the van?

Regarding the Victron IP22 charger, this afternoon I have mounted a male CEE17 plug under the chassis of the vehicle and passed a cable from it inside the van. I will only connect the IP22 charger to this cable. Do I need to install a 30mA residual current device or breaker with overcurrent protection or another protective device for the IP22? Do I need to ground the vehicle chassis to the earth each time I want to use the IP22 charger?

Thank you.

wiringGrounding
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @drumond

Yes you will have to ground your bus to the inverter, to have rcd's in the bus work properly.

for your charger: rcd should be in the shore-supply, connect your input ground wire to the bus chassis to have rcd on shore supply work properly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Ground, earth and electrical safety

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic